Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 6/20/17
“People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy.”  (Anton Chekhov)  Are you a winter or summer person?  Each season has its pluses and minuses.  Chekhov had it right when he wrote that happiness depends on what makes you happy…or sad.  The old song says, “When you’re smilin’, the whole world smiles with you.”  Think today about the things that make you happy…What can you do to make this world a smiling place?    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  they will notice today in Phoenix.  its supposed to be 120 degrees there.  small planes will not fly and people are being warned to not touch exterior pipes,  door knobs, playground equipment  etc.   and that moron Rick Perry just stated yesterday that global warming is something of a myth.  what fools inhabit the White House.====JACK:  Do you think it's hotter than Hell in Phoenix?  We turned on the furnace in Michigan today to take the chill out of the air.

FROM LBP:  “People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when The air conditioner is on.
Nothing metaphoric here. Just a statement that I dislike wearing a sweater indoors in the summer. When it's just me at home I turn the ac off and open the windows. Yesterday i told V how I love the smell of summer. She didn't get it. I breathed in "mmm.. summer". Then I did it again. On the third breath she looked at me with a smirk that said "really mom??" and said "summer?" "Yup ... summer ..."  I like the smell of each season. They each smell different. I've heard that smell has a strong link to memory. Summer is vacation from school. Working in the garden. Playing in the yard with friends. Hanging in the kitchen. Cooling off in the basement. Popsicles and kool-aid. Mm... summer memories ====JACK:  How do your children like the smell of the barn?  the smell of a skunk?  the smell of Thanksgiving dinner cooking?  Jesus was advised not to open the tomb of Lazarus because of the smell of death...but Jesus knew something that they didn't know.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I like all the seasons...gives one a little variety in life....JACK:  You and Sir Thomas More have something in common.====JOHN:  Yes, but, I have no desire to persecute heretics...so you are safe!====JACK:  Whew!

FROM TARMART REV:  Enjoyed so many years now I forget how old I am and what year it is!! ====JACK:  Some people make others happy wherever they go, while other make them happy whenever they go.  You are the "wherever" kind of person.

FROM BB:  Autumn – though today is wonderful in Chicago.  I hope your sister still gets to the UP on occasion.  A special place and they were so “at home” in the cabin!====JACK:  I like autumn, too, but it's a reminder of what's ahead.  Personally, I like May, with the chirping birds and the longer days and the refreshing rain and the not-too-hot temperatures.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  BRIGHTEN THE CORNER WHERE YOU ARE (Sing, it brother!) :-)   I just told a teen girl who handed me our chicken tenders from the drive-through window at Hardees,, that she had a beautiful smile, and she lit up like a Christmas Tree.  This was not lost on my great g.daughter (7) "That made her happy, Nana!"  Spring and Fall are both beautiful seasons in the Midwest, and comfortable temperatures, too. But I would miss any one of the seasons, if it did not occur ; As you say, all have their plus & minuses...A really good round in golf also made me happy!! ====JACK:  Brighten the Corner...Now, that's a real rouser!  We used to belt out the chorus when we were kids in Sunday School.  Do kids sing in Sunday School anymore?  Maybe you and your g.g.d. can sing it the next time you're in the car together.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Used to be a winter person and I still like it when I go outside in the deepest cold and breathe in and my nose hairs freeze.  However, arthritis causes me to be very happy when it gets here.====JACK:  Outhouse people usually don't like either the cold, cold winter or the hot, hot summer.


No comments: