Friday, July 08, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 7/8/16
“Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.”  (Brad Montague)  Do you want to make someone feel good?  OK!  First, put your I-phone away.  Be ready to concentrate on what’s being said.  Use the person’s name in the conversation.  Give a genuine compliment.  Ask them to give an opinion about something.  Touch as you leave.  The Stones sang, “Everybody needs somebody.”  Try to make somebody feel like a somebody today.    ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  I like this. Sometimes it's good to break it down into the basics. A good cheat sheet for those of us who are sometimes a bit socially awkward. But of course ... and Per rule 1... One I have to mentally file.====JACK:  The song, Everybody Needs Somebody, was used in the movie, The Blues Brothers.  Now, there's a movie you should see.  At least pull up the YouTube of the song.  While you're at it, also look at James Brown leading the church service in the movie.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Such good things to do! I will concentrate on these more!====JACK:  Building self esteem is an important task for teachers...in all grades.  I haven't forgotten the teachers who made me feel good.====PAUL:  Yup...research continues to support that one of the major differences between kids who become resilient and those who don't is a positive relationship with a significant adult.

FROM TARMART REV:  Well, Jack, all on my I-Phone, I've listened to your "winning words" as I read them to myself, enjoyed with interest your time and investment in preparing your blog and I'm curious if you are still enjoying your weekday discipline of producing these? I'd have you place your hand on your computer screen or your I-Phone as a point of contact, but really haven't got into such a thing as that!? Always appreciated--====JACK:  In fact, I do have a prayer each day for the "words" and for the people who receive them.  No laying on of hands, though.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  A small group of us at our church are wrestling with the identities of "pastor" and "layperson" because we have the ministry at the Fountains Assisted Living on Saturdays and it isn't practical to have our Pastor there every Saturday, due to her family responsibilities too. Anyway, it occurs to me that your WW this morning could also apply to the goals of a good sermon and worship. When people walk out of the church, they need to carry with them something that was said that has something of the authenticity of a message wherein they feel "heard by God" and also an authentic compliment of who they are and their place in the whole scheme of things, things beyond the "law and all the things that are wrong with them or actually all of us". It's kind of a challenge to try to become more aware of what law and Gospel are and then further trying to be all together in a community where both law and Gospel are actually being understood and benefiting the community. Seems like we are back in pioneer days, when there simply weren't enough trained pastors to do the whole job in all those isolated places and so lay people, seeing the need, have to step up to the plate--and also per your WW this morning, also do the job with people we meet the whole week long. ====JACK:  We are all ministers when we serve others in the name of Christ.  I always admired the kind and caring way you talked to people when you went with me to visit the sick and shut ins.  As you continue to do that, you are doing what Christ has called you to do.  The ELCA does have a process where lay people can become licensed lay ministers and officially do some of the duties of a pastor.  You can get the information from your pastor, or I can send it to you.


No comments: