Monday, July 18, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 7/18/16
“Let’s put your worry on the shelf while we listen to (play a calming song).  Then, we’ll pick up that worry again.”  (Renee Jain – 49 Phrases to Calm an Anxious Child)  While Renee’s advice is for calming children when they’re worried, I’ve adapted it for us grownups.  We never seem to outgrow worry.  There’s much internet advice on how to calm fear.  I like Satchmo’s advice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3soYbSpS4)  Psalm 23 is a help, too.     ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  The next step is to go out and do something about whatever it is...don't just sit and be a victim.====JACK:  Has that had an calming effect for you when things upset you?  A song that might go along with that is: "Be not dismayed whate'er betide, Go will take care of you."

FROM TARMART REV:  That sure perked up my day!!====JACK:  Do you remember the days when coffee was "perked?"  The aroma would perk me up.====REV:  I do, indeed!! 

FROM INDY GENIE:  Love this! Thank you. Another one I use personally and with the children at school  is "Don't worry 'bout a thing...cuz every little thing is gonna be alright" ...Three Little Birds by Bob Marley:) I'm going to play Satchmo for them too...they'll love it and I think we'll be dancing too!====JACK:  You might have to explain what a doorstep is.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  Good one.  Easier said than done however!====JACK:  A well-known adage, "Anything worth doing is worth doing well," is from Lord Chesterfield.  BTW, do you remember when Chesterfield cigarettes were popular?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I searched the Youtube address for Satchmo, but no luck. Par for the course, for me, WHAT DID I DO WRONG//!!  :-(  Coach John Wooden was probably right, when he said, "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out." So put your worry on the shelf, and make the best of things!! :-)====JACK:  Yes, put your worry on the shelf.  But, it's also important to LEAVE it there.====OAKS:  Yes; why ruin two days, when you can just worry about it when "it" happens?!  It IS our human nature to take it back off the shelf, and continue the worry....:-(

FROM DMF:  I like that you have the link to the song.
FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  His playing is enough to calm you and make you think of blue skies and sunny smiles.====JACK:  A couple more of good Satchmo songs..."When you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you"...and "What a wonderful world" (trees, flowers, skies, rainbow, faces, friends)

FROM JT IN MINNESOTA:  thanks.  that is music and a great message.  I have difficulty understanding the words in the songs of today.====JACK:  Yes, you could understand some of the words of the old songs, but some meanings could be hard to understand, like..."Marzy Dotes an Dozy Dots  An little lamzydyevee  Akiddlee eyveetoo  Wuddnyoo?"====JT:  Well that is true.  I hadn't thought of that one.  It is a bit difficult to find a meaning for.  I never did.====JACK:  Here's the translation..."Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy."  The ear then hears the final line as "[a] kid'll eat ivy, too, wouldn't you?"


FROM EEC:  That’s a nice idea!====JACK:  There's a great quote, "Music soothes the soul."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I love that song.  I had an interesting experience today while grocery shopping.  My bagboy surprised me by asking me what I was going to do the rest of the day.  I told him that I was going to watch the convention because I had taught American History ad Government and had worked in Washington for our senator and had belonged to the NAACP in the 40s and 50s. Then I asked him what he is interested in as a high school senior.  He said he was into  the sciences-chemistry and physics.  So I wished him well and to help to build a better world.====JACK:  Once a teacher, always a teacher.  That bagger will probably tell others about his conversation with you.  "Each one teach one."

No comments: