Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 7/12/16
“The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way.”  (Mark Twain)  M.T. could really paint a picture with words.  Another: “Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.”  It’s hard to pick his best, because there are so many.  How about this one of his?  “The problem with internet quotes is that you can’t always depend of their accuracy.”  I grew up being entertained by Tom and Huck.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I've been caught sending what I thought was a legit quote that turned out to be bogus.====JACK:  I've found SNOPES to be a reliable for checking the veracity of questionable "information."

FROM PATIE PAT:  You sly fox, you!====JACK:  Sometimes I just want to see if people are wide awake.  You were.

FROM TARMART REV:  "The problem with 'telegraph wire' quotes is that you can’t always depend of their accuracy.”====JACK:  I still have the typewriter that I used when I was in college.  I should take it to the Antiques Roadshow.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: He had the best sense of humor and a wonderful touch for writing about people.  Loved his books and stories.====JACK:  Some people paint pictures with colors, and some do it with words.  MT was that king of artist.====JUDY:  Yes he was.  Perhaps I will buy Andy the series.  I have always given him books to read from age 2 when he first started reading.  One day just after turning two he was sitting on the couch "reading" the newspaper.  I thought it was cute so I sent over to sit down to have him read to me.  Well he did!  Gary and I are avid readers and we read to him a lot.  He picked up reading so fast it was unreal!!  Every year I would buy him a series of books, the Classics and books we had to read in school or couldn't read in school.

FROM TRIHARDER:  I explain "Memes are cute for sayings about sunsets, puppies and grandchildren. As for political statements, they are generalized and mindless."====JACK:  For the life of me, I can't believe that people think that they are going to change my political beliefs with biased attachments.  I usually respond, "My mind's already made up," or, "My vote is going to cancel yours."

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  We read Tom & Huck several times aloud.  Some of the best writing imaginable; really takes you away====JACK:   I searched for my copy of Huck Finn, but couldn't find it.  However, I did find my Confirmation Bible with my confirmation Bible verses..Isaiah 1:19,20.  "19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: 20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it."  Grandson Jason has his verse tattooed on his arm.====BB:  Wow!  Yours is a “doosey”  did you choose it?====JACK:  Nope.  It was already written in the front of the Bible in the pastor's handwriting.  I like it.  Jason's verse was picked by him from Proverbs.  I can't recall what it is.  I think that David's verse was, "Jesus wept."

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  I like to read Mark Twain's words also.  He would probably get a laugh from your quote of his  "internet quotes" and "their accuracy."   When did Mark Twain die? ====JACK:  He died in 1910.  I remember the day (April 21) well. It was a Thursday.

No comments: