Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 1/27/15
“There aren’t many people that you just ‘click’ with, and when you find those people, you don’t just let them go.”  (Unknown)  Why can we “hit it off” with some people and not with others?  A book by Ori & Rom Brafman, “Click, the magic of instant connections,” explores that question.  The authors write that basic personal beliefs and values are the key.  Think back over your life and recall the people who have connected with you.  What made it click?   ;-)  Jack

FROM SALESMAN LOU:  The last name of the authors is Brafman not "Barfman"!====JACK:  I think that Braf is a better way to start a day or a name than Barf.  I'll make the correction.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  You are asking that of people who know you?====JACK:  In my ministry I married girl named, Klock, to a fellow named, Click.  Somehow, they connected.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  It's the same as marriage...basic personal beliefs and core values play a key role in a marriage that "works."====JACK:  In pre-marital counselling, perhaps the discussion should begin on the subject of beliefs and values.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  If you are open minded, you can "click" with most anybody. Provided you both have that in common.====JACK:  "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." (Abe Fanning)

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  For me, clicks occur with different people in different ways. For example, with person/persons with similar and often , different interest and pursuits... persons whose kindness and caring is received and observed' Clicks have generate a range of "connections" broadening my range of action, reaction and companionship generational, professional, social....some brief others long lasting. Interesting WW. Thank you.====JACK:  Isn't it interesting that click and clique have the same sound, but one seems positive and the other, negative.  I've tried to stay out of cliques, while working at clicking.
 
FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  Three “C’s” -  common commitment to Christ and dedicated service to those three C’s – when I met a person so committed, they became people with whom I really ‘hit it off’.      And when I reflect further, I am surprised how many of them attended Augustana Seminary! ====JACK:  In marriages that I've performed, it's been surprising to me that many of the couples met in bars...more than in church.  Success or failure doesn't seem to depend on where they met, but on whether or not they have a similar value system.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  I agree - looking back it's people that I respected and admired.  Someone once said - "If everyone just thought and acted like me, life would be easy."   Maybe so, but also pretty boring.  I think we need differences to challenge us to accept people even though we may not agree with everything they believe or say.  Sort of like the weather - High in Detroit today - 21,  High in Dallas today - 73.  Sorry - we will pay for it this summer when it's 73 in Detroit and 105 here.  Good for golf today, though.====JACK:  I remember performing a wedding...he had no job and she was in high school.  I had my fingers crossed.  It turned out to be a great marriage, lasting over 50 years.  There events that happen from day to day that keep me humble.

FROM QUILTING CAROL IN WISCONSIN:  Some days I think you are tuned into my wave length to a ‘T’!  Received an e-mail from our granddaughter this morning.  She was thrilled to find out after she went back to school for second semester (this last weekend) that she will be able to move out of her room/dorm and in with a new friend she’s made in another dorm.  This friend is so much more positive and friendly than K’s present roommate.  This will probably be the end of her ‘homesickness’.  She’ll be able to invite others to their room and lead a more normal life on campus.  Then I read your Winning Words this morning and how well that fit K’s situation!!!  I shared it with her when I wrote back to tell her how excited I was for her move.  I know she’s tried to make nice with her current roommate, but some people just don’t know how to share themselves with others except on their terms.  I did share with K that I’ve also learned to like some people even though our initial meetings weren’t so great.  Sometimes I’ve had to sit back and think about how the other person may see issues differently from me and be able to accept our differences.  Sometimes that works and other times I’ve had to walk away for my own well being.  Thanks again for sharing another wonderful thought for the day!====JACK:  What makes me excited is that I've been praying about K's situation.  Sometimes we need an affirmation that praying is more than just words.

FROM TARMART REV:  Some folk are just interesting . . . nor common thread . . . no interest beyond a simple greeting and short update on what is new in their lives . . . love running into them when are wherever . . . has been that way with some for many a year . . . some I can't even tell you their names, if you asked?!====JACK:  A friend (not an acquaintance) "sticketh closer than a brother (sister)."  (Proverbs 18:24)

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  For the most part they are fun to be with! Our best friends all had (or have)  a great sense of humor, in addition to good moral values, and common shared interests...Like the song in Mary Poppins, "I Love To Laugh", we all enjoy shared laughter; also shared empathy, and a quickness to offer a helping hand. Who  was it said, "I'd rather have 1,000 friends than a thousand dollars; If I got into trouble, I know each of my friends would be good for a least a buck"...! ====JACK:  If you need a buck, just call me.

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  That makes sense actually. Interesting....====JACK:  In my "business," I try to make sense where people often see non-sense.====LBP:  Hey, I never knew you were a statistician ;)====JACK:  I'm a JACK-of-all-trades, but a master of none (including statistics).

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  what used to be called chemistry can occur without one's even having to meet the other party, thanks to the internet.====JACK:  One of my former church members met as Asian girl on the internet.  Eventually they got married and, as far as I know, it's working out.

   

1 comment:

SBP said...

For me, clicks occur with different people in different ways. For example, with person/persons with similar and often , different interest and pursuits... persons whose kindness and caring is received and observed' Clicks have generate a range of "connections" broadening my range of action, reaction and companionship generational, professional, social....some brief others long lasting. Interesting WW. Thank you.