Thursday, October 09, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 10/9/14
“I don’t aim at the bull’s-eye, I aim at the center of the bull’s-eye.”  (Roger Staubach)  Some people aren’t satisfied with Good; they want what is Best.  Staubach was like that in the Navy, in football and in life.  I’ve heard it said, “Good enough is good enough.”  Maybe that’s true in certain cases, but not for a true craftsman.  I once knew a man who made the final check of plans before large machines were built.  No detail escaped his eye.  He read his Bible that way, too.    ;-)  Jack

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Measure twice, saw once.====JACK:  I thought it was measure once, saw twice.  No wonder I've been having problems.====CHESTER:  That's an old saw.  Seen on a sweatshirt:  ACCURICY ACCURICY ACCURICY the three secrets to succes

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I'm glad there are some who have the "Lasersharp" vision. It all depends on how, what, and when it is used. I think all gifts have two edges. Thank God some have wisdom!====JACK:  I went skeet shooting with a church member once.  He didn't miss a shot, while I didn't make a shot.  Forget the bull's-eye; some people can't even find even find the target.

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  I'm a firm believer in the sayings that:  "A happy wife makes for a happy life!"  "Unless life is horrific, then it's terrific!"====JACK:  It's one things to quote sayings like these.  It's something else to live them.====IKE:  You're right!  I can honestly say that I walk the talk,because I endured  concentration camp (horrific) & have been married for 52 years & kiss my wife daily if she's awake when I leave in the morning &most mornings we each smile at each other afterward.====JACK:  Isn't it interesting....horrific and terrific have the same basic meaning when you go back to the source? 

 FROM TARMART REV:  Loading up...checking the checked list...====JACK:  You've aimed... Now, pull the trigger.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Dear Abby had a good column once that I saved, titled "Good Enough it Not Good Enough"...in this competitive life and work, that is often true. "GOOD, BETTER BEST; NEVER LET IT REST, UNTIL THE GOOD IS BETTER, AND THE BETTER, BEST"...Can't remember if it was my teacher mom, or another wise teacher who had us memorize this but it has governed my life!====JACK:  Do today's teachers use adages anymore in their instruction?  A new WWs' reader would post an adage each morning on the board in front of her class.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I like these words about detail. I am using a phone app called Voice Aloud that “reads” documents to me while I walk.  It is a great time saver and allows me to exercise and take notes as I walk.  I updated the Text-to-Speech engine to a voice from Ivona called “Amy” a young woman with a British accent.   It is nearly perfect, yet the machine still can’t distinguish when to say “read (red) or read (reed)”  some things are best accomplished by folks like your old friend, with great attention to detail.  Perhaps combining both is best, I think spell checkers, and many automated routines allow us to let our guards down.  I often can do more done with technology, but still am responsible for the final work product.====JACK:  I guess I'm just old fashioned.  Using ear buds to listen to music, a lecture, or a book while walking would be distracting to me. 

1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

I'm glad there are some who have the "Lasersharp" vision. It all depends on how, what, and when it is used. I think all gifts have two edges. Thank God some have wisdom!