Friday, October 03, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 10/3/14
“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, or even touched.  They must be felt within the heart.”  (Helen Keller)  Isn’t it interesting that Helen Keller could call things “beautiful” even though she had no sight?  What is it that makes something beautiful?  She said that the best things can’t be seen or touched.  What are these “best” things?  Sometimes a blind person can help us to see.    ;-)  Jack 

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I remember visiting a blind man who told me he could see God clearly because his sight was not so crowded with all of the world's "stuff"====JACK:  What a visit...and what an insight!

FROM TARMART REV:  "Why do we close our eyes when we pray, cry, kiss, dream? Because the most beautiful things in life are not seen, but felt only by the heart."====JACK:  Why do we sometimes close our eyes to the plight of the poor?  OOPS!  That's not a Winning Word.  I should have written..."Let us open our eyes to the plight of the poor and needy."  There's a Gospel song...
"Open mine eyes, O Lord, Open mine eyes; Into my darkened heart, Let thy light arise.
Show me myself, O Lord, Show me thyself, O Lord, Show me thy truth, O Lord, Open mine eyes."

FROM EMT SINGS IN TRAVERSE CITY:  I had a very long relationship (she passed away recently) with a friend who in the course of our friendship became totally blind.  What I learned from her has impacted my whole life: compassion, tenacity, humility, gratitude and those are just the beginning of her lessons to me!====JACK:  I had an aunt who was blind.  When her husband (my uncle) would buy a new car he would order it without a windshield wiper on her side...and ask for the cost of the wiper to be deducted from the price of the car.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  God sometimes uses his creations in unusual ways, and I think Helen Keller is one of those examples.  Through loving care that she received early in her life, she conquered the fear of darkness, and by the power of her mind she somehow understood the goings-on around her and found a means of expression for what she was experiencing.  She dealt with the hardship but graciously set an exceptional example for all of us.  Helen is one of the great heroines of humanity.====JACK:  We all owe so much to our teachers.  What Helen Keller became had a lot to do with the patience and teaching ability of Anne Sullivan.  (My response causes me to recall some of the teachers who shaped my life.  I was very fortunate.)

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I cross-stitched this quote along with the Lord's Prayer and they hang in our house!  We taught the kids/grandkids a simple song: "Johnny Appleseed's" grace.  It goes "The Lord is good to me and so we thank the Lord for giving me life the things I need; the sun and the rain and the Appleseed. The Lord is good to me!"   Those are some of the wonderful "unseen" things we are deeply grateful!====JACK:  I just noticed....the apple seed above my computer is missing.  I'll have to replace it, along with the saying..."You can count the seeds in an apple, but only God can count the apples in a seed."

FROM JT IN MINNESOTA:  I remember teaching at Shepherd of the Lakes in Grayslake and you invited a blind girl to show the Sunday School how she could read Braille.  She read, "God is Love."  You don't have to have sight to incorporate that concept into living.====JACK:  She had a Braille hymnal at home.  I would let her know the hymns for the Sunday service.  She would bring those pages to church and sing the hymns along with the congregation.  She was a remarkable young lady.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  What a remarkable and inspirational person Helen   was, and is!  We have a blind man who comes to Wed. Bible Study, and has a terrific sense of humor. When  we watch a video lecture (we're studying "The  History of the Bible" he listens intently, and doesn't miss a nuance of expression of what is presented, and is a sharp mind in our discussions. His Bible is braille, of course, and he is well read, many audio books. It is humbling to see such people make the most what they do have!! I often take him to his apt. afterward, and he can discuss almost anything knowledgably.====JACK:  I've sometimes heard a sighted person speak loudly to a blind person.  I'm sure that your Bible study friend other examples of how people have reacted to his blindness.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  Today's WW seems to fit very well with my reading Hebrews.. 12.1...."let us run with endurance the race that is set before us". Certainly Helen Keller did just that..... finding beauty in the heart and senses-a gentle touch, the aroma of flowers; the sound of a favorite piece of music. a taste of her favorite cookie.......She was upbeat about her situation ....as what I want to be no matter what the limitations. Great WW. Thank you.====JACK:  Now there are running races for the blind.  It's kind of a team sport, because a sighted person serves as a guide.  I wonder if the blind person will be permitted to "drive" the driverless cars that are now being tested.


1 comment:

SBP said...

Today's WW seems to fit very well with my reading Hebrews.. 12.1...."let us run with endurance the race that is set before us". Certainly Helen Keller did just that..... finding beauty in the heart and senses-a gentle touch, the aroma of flowers; the sound of a favorite piece of music. a taste of her favorite cookie.......She was upbeat about her situation ....as what I want to be no matter what the limitations. Great WW. Thank you.