Thursday, October 02, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 10/2/14
“Lord, you have come to the lakeshore looking neither for wealthy nor wise ones.  Lord, you have searched me, and while smiling have called out my name.”  (Cesareo Gabarain)  These words are a translation from the hymn, Pescador de Hombres, which we sang in church last week.  The words picture God coming in human form, telling us that he knows us and cares about us.  YouTube the hymn!  (http://youtu.be/1hxDwKlww8Y)   I think you’ll like it.    ;-) Jack    

FROM TARMART REV:  "Tongues and Interpretation" . . . I'm used to those types of presentations. ====JACK:  I need a further explanation.  You seem to be talking tongues.====REV:  Listened to the attached song this morning...sung in one language and interpreted and sung in English as well. ...added a little "Pentecostal" humor in my reply.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  I love it. It's so hummable, and simple to learn. You sang it with guitar accompaniment?====JACK:  Next week I begin a 4-week crash course in conversational Spanish.  Afterward I hope to be able to sing that song in Spanish.

FROM CH ON CAPE COD:  Been singing it for years and love it!====JACK:  In Sunday School we learned the names of the disciples by singing them to the tune of Jesus Loves Me.  "Jesus called them, one by one...Peter, Andrew, James and John etc." 

FROM JAYHAWER DON:  Thanks for bringing this message.  What translation did your people use Sunday?  ELW 817 is different.  My Spanish is very limited, so the Pescadoers suggesting fish, which ELW also highlights.====JACK:  It was #817.  Our congregation is offering a Spanish As A Second Language series of classes in October.  I intend to go to school again.  Students at Trinity Seminary in Ohio now have to know Spanish in order to be ordained.

FROM PASTOR JAN:  If you Google Gabarain's name you'll find some interesting things about him, including misinformation he chuckled about as to where he wrote this song -- in Madrid, not on the seashore.  It is a beautiful hymn of both trust and prayer for a closer relationship with the Lord.  Thanks for bringing it into Winning Words today!====JACK:  Even with the Bible, people often miss the meaning of a text when they omit a study of the con-text.  Many hymns become more beautiful when you know the story behind them.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It's so comforting that God knows us by name and loves us as we are!====JACK:  Someone has written, "Jesus knows me, this I love."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  VERY PRETTY SONG, NICE TO HEAR IT OFFERED BI-LINGALLY, TOO.  JAN AND I TOOK 3 YEARS OF SPANISH IN H.S.  BUT NEVER SPOKE IT FLUENTLY....GOOD FOR YOU LEARNING A NEW LANGUAGE SO LATE IN LIFE! I HAD NEVER HEARD THE DISCIPLES SONG SET TO JESUS LOVES ME...THAT'S ANOTHER GOOD IDEA!  THINGS SET TO MUSIC STAY WITH YOU!!====JACK:  We learned the names of the books of the Bible set to music, too.  In seminary, one of the profs gave a quiz, asking the class to name the books of the Bible.  I "aced" it by singing the Sunday School song to myself.

2 comments:

SBP said...

I love it. It's so hummable, and simple to learn. You sang it with guitar accompaniment?

SBP said...

An opinion" What a realistic decision. Our children must be bilingual in English and Spanish. And we should be developing a representative population of bilinguals in many other languages. As well as knowledge of the cultures ingrained in these tongues. If I were not at this stage of my life, I would invest The Rosetta Stone programs in Spanish and France. (I have children and grandchildren fluent in French.)Thanks for Listening. No ned to post.