Monday, October 20, 2014

Jack's Winning Words (10/20/14)
“When God created Autumn, was he trying to tell us something?”  (Wally Armbruster)  The months Sept, Oct, Nov are collectively called by several names: Autumn, Fall and Indian Summer.  When I was growing up, at the beginning of Autumn, the Chicago Tribune front page would feature a cartoon and article called, Injun Summer.   Injun Summer - John T. McCutcheon www.tkinter.smig.net/Chicago/InjunSummer/  Political correctness ended that in 1992.  But,  Chief Wahoo continues to be around.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  That Injun Summer Picture was one of my favorites.   That is where PC just went too far.====JACK:  It's a pictures of a boy with his grandpa...just imagining things.  PCers miss the point.

FROM PAUL IN SAINT PAUL:  funny how that all now seems so racist and yet in our earlier years no one thought a thing about it being racist. or at the least a misrepresentation of a native people. ====JACK:  Who is it that defines racism?  Similarly, who is it that defines sin?  The dictionary or society or "the mind of the beholder?"====PAUL:  i always thought that God defined sin:):)    but i do admit that we humans often added to the list, like not mowing your lawn on the Sabbath,  or dancing, or playing cards, or going to movies, etc.  also,  like many blue laws in some states...

FROM FLYING INSTRUCTOR TOM:  And Jack when we are flying Piper Cherokees'  - the airline pilots say, as they get lower in altitude, watch out - we are about to enter Injun Territory!!!====JACK:  I hadn't heard that before.  Funny  Navajo, too!====TOM:  Many of the small Piper Aircraft have Indian Names:  Cherokee, Arrow, Navaho, Chieftain, Seneca, Archer, Warrier, Dakota, etc.  So the big boys have to be careful when entering Injun Territory!!====JACK:  I wonder if the company began to use Indian name for its plane when the factory was moved to Indian country in Oklahoma?

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  I have an "essay" essay of thoughts re today's WW. But suffice to say , I really liked it. Especially your thought, "If only we could appreciate the way that God has also painted the faces of people, as He has of leaves." Thank you.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Autumn is so very beautiful!  God paints the trees with golden hues,   Apple reds and glistening greens and yellows!  Yes, We know what's coming.... Cold and snow but we also know Spring is coming too!  Loved the Indian story.====JACK:  If only we could appreciate the way that God has also painted the faces of people...as he has the leaves.====JUDY:  Don't you think as we age we appreciate people more?====JACK:  Yes...and no!

FROM TRIHARDER:  and the Cleveland Indian and Atlanta Braves emblems.====JACK:  Chief Wahoo is an abomination.  At least, Atlanta's logo is just a tomahawk.  However, their war chant and chopping gesture needs to "bite the dust."

FROM CK IN MICHIGAN:  I read that very cartoon as a kid growing up in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Wow I forgot all about that! Thnx for the memory!====JACK:  I grew up in the Quad-Cities area when Chief Blackhawk and the Sauk and Fox Indians used to hang out.  I never saw any of their tepees.====CK:  You know Jack that does sound familiar. I made a copy of "Ijun summer" to keep. I remember my father reading that to me as a child. Now I will read it to my boys. Thank you for bringing back a forgotten gift and memory. Means more than I can say! Thank you.;-)

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  I have an "essay" essay of thoughts re today's WW. But suffice to say , I really liked it. Especially your thought, "If only we could appreciate the way that God has also painted the faces of people, as He has of leaves." Thank you.====JACK:  People who resist change should ponder the "seasons" that God made.  Each has its reason for being, apart from the others.  I like something about each of them.

FROM JIMBO IN HONG KONG:  Chief Wahoo ... the name itself sounds derogatory. Still, some people (and news outlets) cannot shed their childhood culture, be it good or bad; especially if they are making a profit from it.  The further we stray from God, the easier it is to accept the unacceptable; especially if "everyone is doing it". So maybe Autumn is a reminder of the inevitable changes of life (and mind) and begs the question, "Are you ready?".====JACK:  A sermon that I've preached more than any other is titled, "Come Before Winter." (2 Timothy 4:9-21)  Paul, in prison, writes to Timothy, asking him to come to Rome and bring his books and his robe...and he reminds him to come before winter, when the ships can't sail.  We don't know whether or not Timothy made it, but  Paul apparently died before Spring.  The sermon was meant to remind the pastor and people that there are things that need to be done, before it's too late.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Boy, that brings back memories. My favorite time of the year. Thanks====JACK:  I used to like the smell of burning leaves...but I'm OK with having that in the Memory Bank, because I know that the smoke would bother people with breathing problems.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:   OH MY! YOU REALLY TOUCHED A MEMORY WITH THIS.  HOW  WELL I REMEMBER THAT PAGE APPEARING EVERY OCTOBER! DIDN' T SEEM DEGROGATORY AT ALL TO US!  I LOVE THE SONG  "INDIAN SUMMER", TOO! SO NOSTALGIC!  MY MOM COULD RECITE THE ENTIRE POEM "HIAWATHA", A PART OF WHICH APPREARED AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE.  PEOPLE DID A LOT MORE MEMORIZATIOJN BACK IN THE DAY, AND HAD ELOCUTION PROGRAMS! CASEY AT THE BAT GOT A WORKOUT! :-)  HERE ON  THE LAKE, AUTUMN IS SHOWING OFF ALL ITS BLAZING GLORY!! BEAUTIFUL!!====JACK:  Confirmation kids used to complain when I used to give them memory work...the Commandments, the Lord's Prayer, the Creed, etc.  A lady told me that she was once in the hospital, lying on a gurney, scared to death, as she was awaited her first cancer surgery.  All of a sudden, out of the blue, it came to her...the things that she had memorized in confirmation class.  There was a calmness.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  Thank you so much for the story and cartoon.  I always looked forward to it and enjoyed it and did not realize it got the politically incorrect axe.  Thanks again!====JACK:  I wonder what stuff we consider acceptable today will be getting the politically incorrect axe at some time in the future?

1 comment:

SBP said...

I have an "essay" essay of thoughts re today's WW. But suffice to say , I really liked it. Especially your thought, "If only we could appreciate the way that God has also painted the faces of people, as He has of leaves." Thank you.