Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 10/15/14
“Nobody wants to follow somebody who doesn’t know where he’s going.”  (Joe Namath)  JFK stirred up enthusiasm among America’s youth with the line:  “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what can you do for your country.”  Camelot began…but it didn’t last.   As long as time presents “unknowns,” those elected must lead into strangeness.  It happened with Moses.  The followers 2nd-guessed him, too.  Next month, “Vote, not for perfect leaders; vote for those you can trust.”  And, offer a prayer, too.    ;-)  Jack.

 FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA: Re: Moses, I understand Golda Meir said that while her people have always held Moses in great regard, the fact is he took 40 years to lead them to the only place within 400 miles that had no oil.====JACK:  The story is not yet finished.  Perhaps it will be shown that there is something in that "promised land" that is better than oil.  Only time will tell.  of course, that third-guessing.  ====HAPPY TRAILS:  I believe they have found some oil in the meantime too.====JACK:  I hadn't heard that news.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I'm praying. I vote for people whom I believe pray also, at least in some faith. My doctor is a Muslim and I trust him.====JACK:  I personally know one of the candidates running for the U.S. Senate seat, which gives me confidence in voting for him.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Obama is hated but probably not as much as Lincoln was.    And why?    We have left behind two ridiculous wars, made major strides in the area of renewable energy, seen the stock market soar, unemployment take a major drop, housing prices recover, construction boom.   I guess if you are going to be hated,  those are good reasons!====JACK:  One of the good things about the presidential term-limit...You can do what you think is the right thing instead of that which might enhance your re-election.  It doesn't hurt your legacy, either. 

FROM PAUL IN ST. PAUL:  yes,  a very fervent prayer...====JACK:  I've often used this petition when praying about certain things..."Not my, will, but thy will be done."  During Civil War, when a pious minister told Lincoln he "hoped the Lord is on our side," the president responded, "I am not at all concerned about that.... But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."

FROM FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR TOM:  There is an old Russian proverb that teaches - "if you don't know where you are going, any path will take you there".  I always liked this one and similar to the Joe Namath quote.  Have a good day.====JACK:  Or, another similar one...Even a blind mouse will stumble upon the cheese once in a while.

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Question for the day - How do you know who to trust? ;o)====JACK:  Trust is related to faith.  Because we have faith in God, we trust him.  That faith and trust is not based on complete knowledge...but we go with what we know.  And, if an election doesn't turn out as we had hoped, "this, too, will pass," and there will be another election in the future.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN:  Thanks, Jack.  You've made it a little easier for me to cast my ballot.
There are no perfect leaders, and the ones we can trust are not plentiful.  Praying for good judgment is the way to go.====JACK:  The alternative of not being given a vote is far, far worse.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We in Illinois have had a plethora of untrustworthy "leaders", which certainly undermines one's hope in governors, senators and representatives and judges, having integrity!  It is depressing to have to vote for the "lesser of two evils"!  One has to keep praying for those who lead, anyway! And keep voting on the best of the options.   Interesting comment on Obama not being hated as much as Pres. Lincoln....At the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum in Springfield, there is a Whisper Gallery, which shows the  scathing criticism he and Mary had to endure throughout their presidency.  I don't know how they were able to "carry on", but they persevered... and Obama will no doubt do the same. He certainly has had not cooperation in congress!!====JACK:  Those who planned what our country should be had it right when they proposed a balance of powers...Executive, Legislative and Judicial.  Even that would have been 2nd-guessed if "instant-news" reporters had gotten ahold of it.
  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm praying. I vote for people whom I believe pray also, at least in some faith. My doctor is a Muslim and I trust him.
S.H. in MI