Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 7/22/14
“This is Jim Rockford.  At the tone leave your name and message.  I’ll get back to you.”  (James Garner)  Thanks to re-runs and dvd’s, Jim is not dead, but I will still miss him.  Which of his many “characters” is your favorite?  In real life, he was someone’s son, brother, husband, father.  Thanks to electronics, most of us can re-connect with loved-ones who have “passed.”  Life goes on, but it’s not the same.    ;-)  Jack   

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I enjoyed Maverick. Very sexy.====JACK:  He played many different roles, but you always knew it was James Garner.

FROM PLH IN MINNESOTA:  i was a kid when every Sunday night we tuned in to Maverick.  preceded by the Wonderful World of Disney and followed by Bonanza if my memory serves.  do you recall that Garner also had (i think) a real life brother who was on the show.  wonder what ever happened to him?.   or was he only a "brother" on camera.  in fact,  were there not 3 brothers on camera?.  may have to look that one up sometime.  but yes, all good memories of a fellow who seemed like a very decent human being.  did you also see him in The Notebook?  a very good film.  his wife has Alzheimers in the film and they both happen to pass away the same night embracing each other in bed.  not a bad way to go, perhaps.====JACK:  Some mentioned The Notebook to me this morning.  I had not see it, so I looked up the synopsis.  Interesting.  BTW, his brother, Jack, did play in many episodes of "Rockford," and in some of his younger brother's movies.====PLH:  its coming back to me now,  it was Bret Maverick, Bart, and Brock?? or something like that.  maybe you can solve the mystery... ====JACK:  He had several brothers in Maverick, but I don't think that any were his actual brother...although his brother was an actor, too.

 FROM TARMART REV:  One of my favorites! Westerns and Detective!! Maverick and Rockford Files!!====JACK:  I wonder if we liked his acting, because we could fantasize and see ourselves in his place, much like Magnum P.I.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  jim rockford was my fav character of his. bret maverick was awfully good. but the polaroid commercials with mariette hartley were among the best ones ever made.
charming, the handsomest man in hollywood... he's on to bigger roles!====JACK:  I wonder if there will be any actors in heaven, or will we all just play ourselves?  On YouTube you can see and hear Buck Owens this song:
They're gonna put me in the movies
 They're gonna make a big star out of me
 We'll make the film about a man that's sad and lonely
 And all I gotta do is act naturally
Well, I'll bet you I'm a gonna be a big star
 Might win an Oscar, you can never tell
 The movie's gonna make me a big star
 'Cause I can play the part so well
Well, I hope you come and see me in the movie
 Then I'll know that you will plainly see
 Biggest fool that's ever hit the big time
 And all I gotta do is act naturally
We'll make the scene about a man that's sad and lonely
 And begging down upon his bended knee
 I'll play the part but I won't need rehearsing
 All I have to do is act naturally
Well, I'll bet you I'm a gonna be a big star
 Might win an Oscar, you can never tell
 The movie's gonna make me a big star
 'Cause I can play the part so well
Well, I hope you come and see me in the movie
 And then I'll know that you will plainly see
 The biggest fool that's ever hit the big time
 And all I gotta do is act naturally
====LIZ:  "angel" is a cousin to qc-ian dave learner's family.====JACK:  Angel?  I'd almost forgotten about him.  Rockford will really get frustrated by him.  "Aannngel!"

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:   I met Jim Garner 37 years ago in Denver Co. at an off road industry banquet where he and Steve McQueen were given an award for contributions to the industry. . He was the real deal. As warm and genuine in real life as he was on screen. He took the time to talk to everyone. I agree, he will be missed. I loved him as Maverick.====JACK:  I first saw him as a race car driver in the movie, Grand Prix.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  But for many it is great to keep in touch-for those who understand all of the electronic stuiff.  I love it all but I certainly don't understand it all.====JACK:  It works out, if you have children and grandchildren around to operate the stuff.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I think Rockford Files had to be my favorite, but I liked anything he did.  I now can watch Rockford Files every day at 11 am and I do!====JACK:  I can hear the theme song in my mind...right now.  I think I'll go to YouTube and see if I can hear it there.

FROM JAN IN SOUTHERN CAL:  Your message today "hit home" again today. I have kept  Dick's recorded message for our telephone calls.  I wait on most calls until the answering machine comes on so I can still his voice.  I didn't know James Garner and Dick were the same age.  He, too, was one of my favorites.  Have a great day.====JACK:  The sound of a voice and the sound of a favorite song can bring back many memories.  It's almost like yesterday is today.

  FROM RS IN TEXAS:  My favorite was the original Maverick.  Interesting to me that I seem to remember the positive things about those who have passed.  Maybe that's why someone said life is like driving a car.  The windshield is big and the rear view mirror small.  Reason - spend 95% of your time looking forward and just 5% looking back.====JACK:   Most minds have a way of sorting through the past and remembering the good stuff.  I searched through the movies made by Garner and was truly amazed at all the ones I liked..

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  I liked James Garner's role in Maverick and The Notebook, and all the roles in between--of course, Rockford Files.  He always seemed like the kind of person I'd like to know personally.  His acting characters seemed to reflect his character.====JACK:  Someone told me this morning that J.G. had been awarded two Purple Hearts?  I didn't know that.  Did you?

FROM ML IN MICHIGAN:  I saw an old interview of Barbara Walters with James Garner and in it he said he would like to be known as an honest man. He would like to be remembered "with a smile."  Pretty cool, I thought.====JACK;  Actors aren't always acting.  From all that I've read about James Garner, he was the real deal.

FROM JD IN MINNESOTA:  JACK, I'M A SENTIMENTALIST AND REALLY ENJOYED " MURPHY'S ROMANCE." I ALSO LIKED HIM IN "RETURN TO LONESOME DOVE". IT IS REFRESHING TO KNOW HE WAS MARRIED TO THE SAME PERSON HIS WHOLE MARRIED LIFE. I'LL MISS HIM AND WILL WATCH RERUNS.====JACK:  We are so used to seeing actors on the screen (tube) that we overlook the fact that they are actual people, with actual day to day home lives.  3 cheers for the Garners!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I ABSOLUTELY LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, THE NOTEBOOK (BOTH BOOK AND MOVIE) ,  I OWN IT SO WATCH IT AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR....I LOVED THE MOVE HE DID WITH SALLY FIELDS, TOO. YES, ALL OF HIS WORK WAS SO ENJOYABLE. WHO DID HE MARRY? NOTHING WAS EVER SAID ABOUT WIFE AND CHILDREN IN OUR NEWSPAPER....I WAS SO BUSY TEACHING AND DOING CHURCH WORK DURING "THE ROCKFORD FILES" THAT I NEVER SAW THAT SERIES. I'LL HAVE TO CK ON THAT!  AFTER MY HUSBAND DIED, THE SOUND TECH AT OUR CHURCH MADE ME COPIES OF ALL HIS SERMONS (AND MY MUSIC...) (25 YEARS!!)  AND I CAN STILL LISTEN TO HIS VOICE ON TAPE, WHICH IS SUCH A BLESSING, AS HE OFTEN MADE US LAUGH IN HIS MESSAGES!  YOU ARE SO RIGHT...LIFE GOES ON, BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME.====JACK:  In the Old Testament there are often references to the fact that generations come and come.  It is that way in this life, too.  In a way, it's too bad that there were recording devices in Biblical days.  What it would be like to "hear" the voice of Jesus?  Maybe it's best that it be left to the imagination.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Maverick. Very sexy.
S.H. in MI