Thursday, July 10, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 7/10/14
“Man loves company, even if it is only that of a small, burning candle.”  (George C. Lichtenberg)  Think of how candles have been used in your life…on a birthday cake, at a religious service, for ambience, during a power outage, in remembrance of someone, for personal meditation.  Re-read the list and see what memories come to you.  Today, in a dark room, light a candle…look at the flickering light.  Let your mind work.    ;-)   Jack

FROM PLH IN MINNESOTA:  its better to light one little candle than to curse the darkness.  also,  the darker the night, the brighter the candle (light) shines.====JACK:  The Christophers use that first quote as the defining slogan of their organization.  I see it , too, as a description of what I try to do with WWs.

FROM TARMART REV:  They come in handy in a family's bathroom to add a welcomed scent at times!! 0;-/  PS- I know, Jack . . . there is one of us in every crowd one has to put up with!!  ====JACK:  For responses such as yours, I need a candle by the computer.

FROM FLAMING GURU:    A few ago I decided to stop eating lunch in front of the TV.  I made a place at the table with my wood carved statue of St . Francis, a simple candle, a cloth napkin. Most every day I have lunch with St. Francis . I light the candle and give thanks. I also ask to be an instrument of healing and peace. This ritual has had a profound effect on my path.   Thank you so much for your daily wisdoms. They also have profound effect on my spiritual path. I can't tell you how many times what you say is exactly what I need. Such synchronicity! I believe also in God's mysterious ways, his (or her:) wonders to perform. You have been one of those wonders in my,& my family's life for a long time. I am so thankful for you! Peace====JACK:  Some day, when the WWs seem to hit home. print the message out and place it beside a cloth napkin on your table.  I'll be with St. Francis and you...spiritually.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Jodi Picoult (author) made this observation:"Let me tell you this:If you meet someone who is a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude.  It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them."  I guess that is our mission,  to socialize and give company to some who may not "fit in". It takes a discerning heart!  Candles can't take the place of people, but they do, as you point out, serve very good purposes!  I love my Lilac scented candles in the Spring and Summer, and the Apple-Spice ones in the Fall, etc.  Homey! AAAAH!blessings.====JACK:  In Sunday School, we used to sing..."Jesus bids us shine with a clear, pure light, like a little candle burning in the night.  In this world of darkness, we must shine.  You in your small corner, and I in mine."

FROM JM IN MICHIGAN:  What lovely images this brought to mind.  Then I remembered the Bread for the World Christmas card photo of two girls studying by candlelight and thought how representational that is, that little light, of our quest for better things for ourselves, our families, our nation.  Hmm.  Lots to think about!  Thanks.====JACK:  I went into a synagogue once and saw that the "eternal" light had been electrified.  ====JM:  How disappointing! I don't even like the oil or liquid wax "artificial candles" that are used in so many sanctuaries these days.  I realize real beeswax-based candles are messy and that it's time-consuming to clean up the candelabra, but . . .  Whatever happened to the dictum of "nothing artificial in the chancel"?  Gone  as we accepted artificial Christmas trees -- and that dictum comes from the local fire departments.  :-(

No comments: