Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Winning Words 6/19/13
“Why try to explain miracles to your kids when you can just have them plant a garden?”  (Robert Brault)  I have an apple seed attached to my computer as a reminder of what can happen when a “seed” is planted and allowed to grow…apples and more apples.  A maple seedling is growing in our bushes.  A “helicopter” seed evidently took root.  A nest on our front porch produced 4 baby robins.  Everyday miracles!    ;-)  Jack

BERNARD BERENSON  (American Art Historian)"Miracles happen to those who believe in them." 

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Miracles don't have to be big for me--they can be little and meaningful, like one perfect rose, one sweet strawberry, the first one of the season, one little bean plant grown in a first-graders paper cup. Thanks for your WW, the fact that you're so faithful in conveying them each morning is also a miracle to me. I always look forward to reading them!!!!!====JACK:  Large or small, a miracle is still a miracle.

FROM WALMART REV:  More than we can ever comprehend this side of eternity...enjoy planting and experiencing your's today as I will mine..."Multiplied,multiple multiplicities of miracles!"====JACK:  Be on the lookout for God's miracles today...even the little ones that can slip under the radar.

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I grew up on eleven acres...planted a lot of gardens...harvested a lot of fruit and grapes and berries, etc.   still love to garden...the bunnies, et. al. And I share the produce.====JACK:  Carl Sandburg wrote a little book, The Rootabaga Stories.  Did you ever grow rootabagas?====JOHN:  Don't like them except in pasties...did grow popcorn, however...a fairly unusual crop====JACK:  Did you ever grow horse radishes?====JOHN:  Radishes, yes...let horses grow their own

 FROM PASTY PAT:  Amen, amen (from the shores of Lake Superior with more miracles all around me!) ====JACK:  The formation of a Petosky stone is a miracle, too.  Do you see any on the shore?

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  Like. A lot.====JACK:  Perhaps LAL could be a new Facebook abbreviation.

FROM RUTHIE IN ILLINOIS:   I have spent the last week watching a sparrow couple feed their babies-what a joy! They made the nest in one of my hanging planters, close to the house,&they dont seem to mind me watching them:) God works in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform:)====JACK:  Here's another song that you might like.
Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild,
Still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me, and I am His child.
Refrain
Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.

Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort, and there I am blessed.
Refrain
Under His wings, oh, what precious enjoyment!
There will I hide till life’s trials are o’er;
Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me,
Resting in Jesus, I’m safe evermore.
Refrain
 ====RUTHIE:  Ha! I replied before I read about your robins-synchronicity-I love it...I have been thinking of my father alot this week, writing a song for him-...he taught me to plant seeds. I still see his hands, showing me. Such a great lesson-to plant a seed & have faith that it will grow:)

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  “The Lord is good to me...And so I thank the Lord...For giving me the things I need..The sun and rain and the apple seed. Oh, the Lord is good to me!”  Johnny Appleseed”s song! Darts! Seeds! Gifts to stimulate awareness and remind us of .....Jesus’ parables! Re Honest John....There’s a delightful story in The Rootabaga Stories that he(because he grew popcorn)might enjoy : The Chinese Silver Slipper Buckle....I love it...and so did all the children to whom I read it. I touched the sleeve of Carl Sandburg’s black suit jacket at the U. of I. .....I didn’t wash my hands for days.====JACK:  My father grew up in Galesburg when Carl Sandburg also lived there.  I once visited Sandburg's home and have a picture of him on a wall near my computer.  From what I heard from my Galesburg relatives, Carl had some rough edges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've been enjoying a little flower miracle at church. For a long time now, when our Altar flowers come from the florist, the daisies especially just haven't lasted. We put the flowers at the Altar and then during the week keep them in the refrigerator in the kitchen. Within a week, the daisies had been turning dark and droopy. temperature in the refrigerator? to much draft from the fan circulating air? old refrigerator and no longer reliable for keeping delicate flowers fresh? florist insisted they were using same kind of flowers as before. Anyway, for past 4 or 5 years it's been like this--we just had flowers for one week or specified only carnations and babies breath which would keep longer. On May 25th, the florist delivered carnations, daisies and babies breath, Altar flowers to the honor and glory of God and in celebration of my husband's and my wedding anniversary, 44 years. How cool--those same flowers were at the Altar last Sunday. We even were able to put them at the Altar a couple of weeks ago for a Memorial Service. The florist says the flowers aren't any different from what they've been using. I'm going to the church for prayers this morning and will check in on them to see if they are still looking fresh and not dark and droopy. Don't know why this is happening and realize there must be some scientific explanation but I'm choosing to believe it's a miracle, a sign from God. Just enjoying the amazement of it all. Miracles don't have to be big for me--they can be little and meaningful, like one perfect rose, one sweet strawberry, the first one of the season, one little bean plant grown in a first-graders paper cup. Thanks for your WW, the fact that you're so faithful in conveying them each morning is also a miracle to me. I always look forward to reading them!!!!!
S.H. in MI