Monday, June 10, 2013

Winning Words 6/10/13
“Dear God, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.”  (Prayer of Breton fishermen)  During a naval training exercise, a friend of mine was dropped on a raft in the middle of the ocean.  The chopper radioed, “We’ll be back.”  My friend told me of the aloneness and apprehension he felt.  I’m comforted by God’s promise, “Lo, I am with you always,” even during times when I feel like a face in the crowd.    ;-)  Jack

 ASTRONAUT THOMAS K. MATTINGLY II:  "It's hard to take yourself seriously when you look at the world from outer space."

  FROM HONEST JOHN:  My first practice debate at Augustana was against Phil Hubbart, the best debater in Augie history.   I was demolished.   Fortunately, he was also a very gracious person.   A little grace helps when you feel crushed.====JACK:  When life hands you a lemon...crush it...and then make lemonade.  We are made better by an occasional setback. ====JOHN:  They give a ring at West Point to the best debater in the nation...debate's equivalent of the Heisman Trophy...Hubbart won it twice...and was second the other time...no one else is close to him even though Augie has had some great debaters

 FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  who are Breton fishermen?====JACK:  There's a peninsula jutting out from France which is called, Brittany (Breton, "Little Britain").  It's the home of many fishing ports.====PH:  I just knew there was a story here and that you would know it!!

 FROM WALMART REV:  I've had that experience at times...in the middle of a large crowd, feeling all alone...thankfully those times do pass on, especially when I begin to reach out to others in welcoming ways. ====JACK:  "To have a friend, be a friend," except those times when your reaching out is seen as an intrusion into "private" space.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  As a child I felt comfortable living in the small town where I was born.  I can remember, about age 5, occasionally my father taking me with him into the big city about 20 miles away.  Driving into the bustling metropolis, with the busy streets, fast traffic, tall buildings, and crowded sidewalks, was a scary experience.  The city was so big and I was so small.  What if I got separated from my father?  The security of his hand holding mine as we walked the streets was so reassuring.  Through all the later years of my life my confidence came from knowing that I was still secure in the hands of the Father.====JACK:  Canadian Anne Murray had a religious "pop" song,  "Put your hand in the hand of the man who stilled the water."

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  That is how I feel today.  Just recvd word that a friend a young man in our congr was called home during the nite.  A man that has had more problems than most.  I know he is in a far better place than this harsh world.====JACK:  Yesterday I heard that a Jewish friend suddenly died.  He was one who made this harsh word a better place.  David walked the talk. G-d is the same, yesterday, today and forever....in that eternal "better" place.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I HAVE THIS POSTED IN MY "SEA SHELL" DECORATED BATHROOM!  ALL MY GRANDCHILDREN AND "GREATS" KNOW IT BY HEART...SO TRUE!  I FUNCTIONED FOR YEARS GROWING UP AS A "TWIN", SO WHEN WE MARRIED, AND LIVED VERY SEPARATE LIVES, (BOTH MARRIED TO MINISTERS, BUT GEOGRAPHICALLY WIDELY APART)  I HAD TO LEARN TO "STAND ALONE" . NO ONE TODAY WILL BELIEVE THAT I WAS ONCE THE "QUIET TWIN" ! HA!  I GREATLY ENJOYED THE BURL IVES DOUGHNUT HOLE SONG WHICH I'D NEVER HEARD, AND JUST LISTENED TO THIS A.M.  ALWAYS EJOY YOUR WW AND THE BLOG COMMENTS!!====JACK:  Burl Ives' LP also has these "old favorites"....The Little White Duck, Froggie Went a-Courtin' and Fooba Wooba John.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It's such a wonderful feeling to know that no matter where we go, what we have to do, what we have to face and who we have to deal with, God is always always there.  We are never ever alone.====JACK:  And he's also there at those "oops" times when we've strayed from the straight and narrow.  But that's the way it is with God.  He's ALWAYS there!

 FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  WW today reminded me of this photo – zoom in and see how God sees us as individuals – even when we are along on the ocean of life.!    Hiding in a crowd? No more. Wait till this loads and zoom in... So you thought you might hide in the crowd......This picture was taken with a camera 70,000 x 30,000 pixels (2100 MegaPixels).It can identify a face in a multitude.The cameras are not sold to the public and are being installed in strategic locations. (This one is in Canada)  Place the cursor in the multitude of people and left double click a couple times. It will continue to show the people much closer, when you double left click again or click more if needed. Amazing!!  There were thousands of persons and yet one can spot and recognize any face.Imagine what this means... both police and Army have it. 
http://www.gigapixel.com/image/gigapan-canucks-g7.html====JACK:  My Little Boat is no longer lost.

 FROM CS IN WISCONSIN:  BE SURE AND WATCH TO THE END WHEN THERE IS A 1:35 MINUTE VIDEO....REALLY INTERESTING  Subject: Grains of sand magnified up to 250 times
YOU WILL NEVER SEE A SANDY BEACH IN THE SAME WAY AGAIN!
http://inspirationgreen.com/magnified-grains-of-sand.html ====JACK:  Even a grain of sand is not lost in the beach.

  FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  sounds like max's journey to where the wild things are.  it's maurice sendak's birthday today.  did you know?====JACK: Someone else mentioned Maurice to me...so I had to look him up.  Some librarians were reluctant to put his stuff on the shelves, until they saw him through the eyes of their children customers.

 FROM MS IN MICHIGAN:  Just returned from a trip to the Galapagos Islands.  Seeing the stark lava up thrusts and being under the milky way seemed liked getting a glimpse of creation.  Makes us very small. ====JACK:  One of the most unusual places in this wonderful world.

No comments: