Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Winning Words 5/14/13
“A pound of pluck is worth a ton of luck.”  (James A, Garfield)  I attended Garfield School, but I didn’t know much about our 20th president.  Later, I realized that “pluck” was a word that could be applied to him.  His growing up years were not easy, but he had spunk.  Lou Grant complimented Mary Richards by saying, “You’ve got spunk!”  If you were to make a list of spunky people, who might be included?  You?    ;-)  Jack

FROM WALMART REV:  ...first thought out of the box..."fundamental Baptists"...one of them, in jest, mentioned one time that if two or three members at a church business meeting ever agreed on one thing, it was not an official meeting.====JACK:  The Jehovah's Witnesses who are willing to go door to door to talk about their beliefs...have spunk.  

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I think that most of the people in our generation had that quality.====JACK:  Tom Brokow called ours The Greatest Generation.  A Spunky Generation fits, too.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Yeh, and Lou also said,"I hate spunk!" ====JACK:  Sometimes you remind me of Lou Grant.

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  Your mom had pluck, and spunk.====JACK:  She was a "Chicago" girl.  We are what life has made us.  Yes, she had spunk!

 FROM JS IN MICHIGAN:  Yes, I hope I am referred to as, spunky.  I like moxie, too.====JACK:  How about..."ball-o'-fire?"

 FROM HL IN TENNESSEE:  You mentioned attending Garfield School.  Was this school in Moline or possibly in Davenport?  I attended Garfield School located at E. 29tth St and Arlington Ave. in Dvpt from 1931 to 1935; Garfield was K-4 in those years.  For 5th and 6th grade I attended Tyler School on Grand Ave. near Locust St., and then on to Sudlow Jr. High for 7th -90th.  My brother Dick was at Garfield from 1934 to 1940.  It is possible that Moline and Davenport both had Garfield Schools,.  But if it was Davenport our paths might have crossed.  Let me know.====JACK:  The Garfield School that I mentioned was in Moline.  You never hear of schools being named for Garfield anymore.  Come to think of it, I don't come across many Harrys anyomre, either.  The first baby I baptized after ordination was named, Rocky.  Talk about being ahead of the curve!

No comments: