Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Winning Words 12/19/12
“If stranded on a desert island, what music would you take?”  (Reba McEntire)  First of all, the island would need a source of power, unless you brought your harmonica.  But, that’s not the point.  Reba wants to know, “What’s your favorite music?”   A poll listed Lars Ulrich’s Snare Hits as the song that would be played over and over in Hell.  On a desert island?  I might take Handel’s Messiah.  But I also like country.    ;-)  Jack

FROM DR PAUL IN MICHIGAN:  My kids are really music oriented.  I asked them to give me a playlist of 30 of their favorite songs.  It was so interesting.  Some of it I even liked!  LOL  Wouldn't that be fun to share among friends?////FROM JACK:  I wonder what/who it is that influences our likes and dislikes of music.  I remember that may parents and I disagreed on what was "good" music.

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  A medley of Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Rosemary Clooney hits.////FROM JACK:  Evidently you liked the movie, White Christmas, in which Bing and Rosemary were a "hot" couple.  My Aunt Nell preferred Crosby over "Snot-ra."

 FROM WALMART REV:  When I sit awhile in meditation and focus on our Savior, I have a library of hymns and choruses I've been taught and memorized over the first 50 years of my life that I rehearse in song. These  paragraphs and phrases of biblical truths and praises share in song my feelings and thankfulness to Him. So whether on an island without any power source, some prison because if my faith or on top of a mountain in praise, "I Will Bless Thee O Lord!" 0;-)////FROM JACK: As you sit in the Walmart Coffee Shop, what are the holiday songs that you hear being played over and over and over again?////REV: 
I wish there were... Neither there nor Target- silent nowadays. 0:-(////JACK:  "Silent Day" instead of "Silent Night?"

FROM PASTY PAT:  Hmmm ..... I wouldn't have picked you as a country kind of guy!////FROM JACK: 
Polka would have been my 2nd choice, followed by Zydeco.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS: Oooh! That's a tough one!  Bing Crosby for sure, big band classics, favorite classical pieces (I love Scheherazade (Rimsky-Korsakov) by NY Philharmonic Orch. Vilvaldi Seasons, Mozart, The Mills Bros,  Billy Eckstine, Hymns of faith, Statler Bros., Oakridge Boys, Nat King Cole, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Wow, I'd have to have a UHaul!!  Music sure does lighten our lives!! Right now I love hearing all the Christmas music on radio, TV, supermarkets, malls, etc. etc. And I play my CDs...Love the movie White Christmas...watched it twice already! And The Christmas Story (You'll shoot your eyes out!) and It's A Wonderful Life... Aren't we fortunate to have so much??!!  BLESSINGS!! ////FROM JACK:  With all that "stuff," it would no longer be a desert island.  In fact, you might have to find a larger island.

FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:   playing over and over again in Hell reminds me of the repeated use of "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Polka Dot Bikini" in Billy Wilder's film One, Two, Three to extract a false confession from a suspected spy for the West.////FROM JACK: Now, that is funny. Just for fun, I Googled it.  "I confess.  I confess."

FROM LK IN OHIO:    On Mother's Day, 1981, I was asked this very question while being interviewed on our local NPR broadcast, "Desert Island Discs".....I worked for NPR then. My reply, now and then...... Handel's Water Music. ////FROM JACK:  That's a good choice.  I wonder if Reba has ever heard it, or would choose it?

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Battle Hymn of the Republic Goose bump time.  By the way, that's live with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.////FROM JACK:  That's a Civil War song written by Harriet Beecher Stowe as she watched the Union soldiers marching off to war.

 FROM SS IN MICHIGAN:  And I would take "Ode to Joy"!!!////FROM JACK:  I'd take Beethoven's whole 9th Symphony.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:   Reba's list surprised me.  People sure love music...all different kinds too.  I would take Vivaldi's Four Seasons.////FROM JACK:  It looks as though you're planning to stay for the whole year...Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: right now...it would be the roche sisters or anything by them.  their sound is so organic.  it is one voice singing all parts.  some musicians overdubbed their own voice.  you have heard the sweet sound of the lillstroms and i'm sure other family groups singing.  one voice...all parts.////FROM JACK:  You introduced me to Iris DeMent, and I like her better, especially when she sings, "Let the Mystery Be."

 FROM DP IN MINNESOTA:  How about a hymnal?////FROM JACK:  But which one, the black, red, green?  "Songs of Two Homelands" would be a good one for mme.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I like New Orleans jazz., opera. folk, musicals, country, big band, religious.  I like all kinds of music.  We have just returned from a grandson's wedding in Birmingham and they had a fantastic band at the reception. Also at the Magic Kingdom in Orlando yesterday Christmas music was played throughout the park.  Symphonic concerts and blue grass are great, too. When we lived in Nassau for three years, we enjoyed calypso and the Bahamian songs.  In fact, the only thing stolen from our trunks when we moved to Ann Arbor in 1961 was an album of George Symonette, our favorite.////FROM JACK:  You never can count on Ann Arbor people to do the usual thing...like stealing an album that most people have never heard of.  (I'm on my way to Google.)  I'm back.  Now, I can understand.  I'd like to have G.S. on my playlist, too.  There are advantages for living in the Bahamas, beside the weather zand the beaches.

 I'd just try to remember "Jesus Loves Me" until I finally got rescued. Maybe I'd sing out very loudly "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" too until I finally got rescued. Being stuck like that would probably be too traumatic for me to do much more than try to find stuff to eat, sleep with one open all the time, and pray. ////FROM JACK:  Did I ever tell you of how someone changed the words to Jesus Love Me?  It reads: Jesus Knows Me, This I Love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd just try to remember "Jesus Loves Me" until I finally got rescued. Maybe I'd sing out very loudly "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" too until I finally got rescued. Being stuck like that would probably be too traumatic for me to do much more than try to find stuff to eat, sleep with one open all the time, and pray.
S.H. in MI