Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Winning Words 12/12/12
“Earth without art is just “eh.’”  (T-shirt slogan)  In spite of the negative “eh” factor, the Detroit area has much that is positive, its symphony orchestra, the river front, the Eastern Market, museums, many lakes, the Tigers…and The Detroit Institute of Arts.  Recently, people of the area voted for a millage to increase support of the DIA.  Rodin’s “Thinker” sits at the entrance.  Can you guess what he’s thinking about?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM WALMART REV:  In the eyes (mind) of the beholder!////FROM JACK:  That's a good thought, but there is a "right" answer.////REV:  Jack, you've got the upper hand on this one . . . I'm sure you know something about the creation of the monument that I don't.////JACK:  In the complete sculpture, he's looking into Hell...and thinking.

 FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Just came back from Art Basel in Miami and had never been before.  Rodin's "Burghers of Calais", which stand outside the Hirschhorn Gallery in DC was my first ever "look up" in art, and has changed how I look at life.////FROM JACK:  I, too, got a new look at Rodin when an exhibit of his work came to Detroit.  That's when I saw "The Thinker" as part of a larger sculpture.  Thanks for leading me to investigate the story behind "the Burghers."

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Jack, it's enjoyable to read your missives early in the morning. Keep it up! ////FROM JACK:  There's an old saying: "Lord willing and the creek don't rise."  See also, James 4:15.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Always learning--that's your readers and we like it that you daily tap into that desire.////FROM JACK:  A friend of mine has this saying etched in stone and placed beside his garage door..."Ancora Imparo," which means, "I am still learning."

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  The common belief is that Rodin was depicting Dante contemplating his poem "The Divine Comedy".  The Thinker could have been pondering a way to cash in by franchising his image, since there are multiple castings of the sculpture all around the world.  The pose of the sculpture is somewhat contorted and looks awkward...the Thinker may have been thinking, "maybe I'd be more comfortable leaning on my right leg."////FROM JACK:  I saw the complete sculpture at the Rodin exhibit at the DIA, and "The Thinker" is indeed contemplating the figures writhing below him in the abyss of Hades.////RI:  I enjoyed your last comment to CZB in Colorado...but you don't seem so "scary."////JACK:  Preacher Edwards was the one who scared people.  My style was somewhat different.

 FROM YOOPER BOB:  Yes, Jack, he is thinking about the size of our government.  The Scriptures warn that God is opposed to civilizations who  protect the strong and trample on the weak.////FROM JACK:  The O.T. prophets gave the rich something to think about...God's judgment on those who mistreat the poor.

 FROM CZB IN COLORADO:  Originally created to represent Dante over another Rodin piece, The Gates of Hell. Rodin referred to the sculpture As The Poet. Fascinating!////FROM JACK:  Jonathan Edwards once preached a sermon on this topic..."Sinners in the hands of an angry God."  During his sermon, it was reported that listeners were writhing and crying out, "What must I do to be saved?"////CZB: Oh my. Glad I wasn't there! Have you ever looked at Pieter Bruegel's paintings on the subject? Scary!////JACK:  Ooooh!  That's pretty grim, too.  Artists and preachers have tried to assist the Bible writers in scaring "the hell" of of people.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Right now I think he's thinking it's darn cold outside!!////FROM JACK:  "Will somebody please get me a coat?"

 FROM DC IN KANSAS:  Financial Cliff?////FROM JACK:  As it says in the Bible (Mark 5:13), "Jesus let them do this. The evil spirits came out of the man and went into the pigs. The herd of about two thousand pigs rushed down the cliff into the sea and drowned."

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  detroit is broke... art should be funded privately.////FROM JACK:  The millage was passed by a vote of the people living in 3 counties outside of the city.  The suburbs count themselves as part of the Detroit metro area.  Much private funding is also going into providing a regional transit system to provide easier access into the city.

 FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  Love this one. I love art and the DIA and I hope to get to there to see the Faberge exhibit.  Rodin is thinking of how we can get revive Detroit. He’s also wondering what happened to Detroit?  He is wondering why more people do not come visit him.////FROM JACK:  He's wondering if the Lions will ever win the Super Bowl...or be in it?

 FROM BLAZING OAKS (BACK FROM A VACATION):  I would say  the word would be "BLAH" without the arts!  Especially drama and music for me, tho I love to read, and appreciate the other "arts"!  I am looking forward to portraying "Clarissa" (the elderly lady dealing with Alzheimers) in Ken Bradbury's play "Couplings" in January at the Hoagland Center for the Arts in Sprgfld, There will be six performances. Once a "Ham" always a "Ham" I guess!  Springfield has many and varied opportunities for Art and Drama, which is such blessing! I'll be clapping for Martina McBride tonight at her  Christmas Concert at the Prairie Capitol Convention Center, where my grandson is the  Manager.  Life-long cheers for the arts, and your daily WW!!////FROM JACK:  I became curious.  Why are some actors/actresses called, "Hams?"  The derivation hat makes most sense to me..."Someone who acts in an amateurish way...ham being a takeoff on the word, amateur."  That can't be you.

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  I just ordered the tee shirt; thanks for a fun Christmas idea.////FROM JACK:   I like this one...P.B.P.G.I.N.F.W.M.Y.

FROM JM IN MICHIGAN:  I think he's thinking about how cold he is sitting out there in the buff! ////FROM JACK:  That cold bronze seat doesn't make it any better, either.

No comments: