Friday, August 05, 2011

Winning Words 8/5/11
“Most of the work that is done in the world each day is done by people who do not feel very well.” (Churchill) As a teen. my wife came home one day and complained, “I’m tired!” Her mother responded, “Tired? What’s that? Everybody’s tired.” That’s become a well-used quote in our family. A lot of necessary work, going on around us, is being done by “tired” people. It’s Friday! Be sympathetic. ;-) Jack

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: This is a new thought for me. My concept is that the norm is is healthy and feeling good. Maybe it is true that the majority of the work being done is by people who are below that that level. I have to think about this!////FROM JACK: One of my Winning Words goals is to promote "thinking." Because today's quote is attributed to Winston Churchill, it cause me to wonder, "Why did he say it?" I go back to what my wise mother-in-law said, "Everybody's tired."////MORE FROM PL: Interesting thought that the "tired" never use that word!

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Ha! I had to laugh, and nod my head...Tired just doesn't cut it! Remember Pearl Bailey (wife of Louie Bellson, the great drummer from Moline) singing her song TIRED...she did it so well, and always brought down the house! As one comedian observed, "If you think you've got it tough, read the history books." I plan to keep fanning my shirttail doing all I can, until I just can't! Reading about Churchill, in the Pulitzer prize-winning book NO ORDINARY TIME, when he visited the FDR and Eleanor household on several occasions, he was a problem drinker. Or that's what I read into it. That can make you tired, I imagine! ////FROM JACK: I'd forgotten about that song. And yes, alcoholism can make more than the alcoholic, tired!

'TIRED"... LYRICS BY PEARL BAILY

Tired of the life I lead,
Tired of the blues I breed,
Tired countin' things I need,
Gonna cut out wide and that's the truth,
Get a brand new man while I got my youth.

Tired of the clothes I wear,
Tired of the patches there,
I'm tired of the crows I scare,
Gonna truck downtown and spend the (moo?)*
Get short vamp shoes and a new man too.

Washin' and a-tubbin'
Cleanin' and a-scrubbin'
Sure leaves my glamour with a scar.
All that mendin' and a-moppin'
Washin' and a-shoppin'
Don't make me look like a glamorous star.

Tired of the tears I shed,
Tired of livin' in the red,
Tired of my same old bed,
Gonna live the life of Cindy Lou
And do the things that I know she'd do
'Cause I'm tired, yes I'm tired of you.

Well, I guess by now you all have the general idea.
I am tired.
I-I am in the wrong place.
Do you know I-- What am I doing in this studio?
Well I just passed by and heard "Tired" playing,
Do you know I'm in the wrong place?
I thought this was my recording session,
This is Louie's recording session.
Music sound so good, though, I think I'll stay here.
At least sing four more bars and enjoy myself while I'm here.
Come to think about it, you know something else?
I don't know nobody here.
They certainly look like nice fellas though

And they keep playing this song, maybe they expectin' me to come in later.
Yeah, it's a long way, but I'm trying to wait for a few more bars and then I'll sneak in on 'em...

…So I can live the life of Cindy Lou, and do the things that I know she'd do.
I'm tired, mighty tired of….

….You know I don't know all of these boys personally, honey,
But I certainly would like to thank them very much
For letting me drop in on this session.
I've enjoyed myself so much, it sounds good too.
Wait a minute, I'll close the door as I'm leaving,
Thank you so much...

FROM YOOPER NANCY: YES !!!! YES !!!! AND I AM WAITING FOR OUR GREAT GRANDCHILDREN TO ARRIVE TONITE WITH THEIR GRANDPARENTS FROM S.D. AND OK. LOTS OF PRAYERS FOR THIS "81 YEAR OLD". THANK GOODNESS FOR OUR STUGA ON LAKE SUPERIOR......ONLY 30 MINUTES FROM OUR APT.
PEACE AND LOVE, TIRED NANCY////FROM JACK: Hon är trött.

FROM CWR VISITING IN MICHIGAN: I'm tired...., but that's no excuse for lethargy. Amanda and I are making clay dough pots.////FROM JACK: I'll bet Amanda isn't tired.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: Like it and big fan of WC.////FROM JACK: Churchill reminds me of the Robert Schuller book title: "Tough Times Never Last. Tough People Do." He was the leader that Britain (and the world) needed during WW2.

FROM BF IN MICHIGAN: TGIF! Have a great weekend.////FROM JACK: As the old saying puts it: “Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday.”





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for Pearl Bailey's song. Made my day.
S.H. in MI