Monday, August 29, 2011

Winning Words 8/29/11
“Strike it!” (Madeleine Albright’s father) M.A.’s father was a Czech immigrant who sometimes mixed up his idioms. When he said, “Strike it!” he meant, “Go for it...You can do it!” She followed his advice and has made a success of her life. We all need a word of encouragement…maybe, especially on Mondays. “Strike it!” Be confident! In fact, you might help someone else by saying to them, “Strike it!” ;-) Jack


FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: If your friends name was Richard, you could say "Strike it, Rich!" What would that connote?////FROM JACK: "That's rich!" is a saying that you don't hear much anymore. You're clever, today!


FROM TAMPA SHIRL: If at first first you don't succeed, try, try again. That is always a good way to live. Did you know that M Albright's father was on the staff at the University of Denver? You probably did. And also that Condoleeza Rice's father was there also.////FROM JACK: No, I didn't know that piece of trivia. I was at DU when my son got his MBA there, but I didn't see the fathers of Madeleine or Condi at the ceremony.

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: I'll tell ya, I have no idea how you find some of these quotes!////FROM JACK: I try to know "my customers" and am always on the lookout for things that will interest them and me. I try to find challenging quotes for Mondays.

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: I was in Brazil I ran across an opportunity to get a massage and took advantage of it. The local, a transplanted European, spoke decent, but not perfect, English. "Inspire", he told me. I quickly figured out he was instructing me to "breathe in". "An interesting, but appropriate, confusion of words," I thought. You obviously get all the connections between breathing in and inspiration. ////FROM JACK: "Inspire!' That makes perfect sense to me. What if you have been told to "Expire!" I remember being told in seminary that pastors should continue to inspire before they expire, and I'm trying to do that with my Winning Words. I always appreciate your comments.


FROM BLAZING OAKS: When my twin and I visited Mexico, we were assailed by street vendors holding out items, saying, "Very fine! Wrrrop eet up?!" That became our mantra when we agreed something was O.K., or the plan or program should go forward...."Wrrrop eet up!" (With a chuckle, always!) "Strike it!" is decisive, and Madeline "got it". Fun WW for today....Tim Tebow, Heisman trophy winner, NFL quarterback,says in his book, "Mom used to quote Isaiah 64:4, about waiting on the Lord. It doesn't mean being complacent. It means understanding that He has a plan, and that we're not the ones in control. In the meantime, we need to strive to use our gifts and abilities fully," And he has. Good to keep in mind.////FROM JACK: I wonder what Bible verse Tim is using now that "college adulation" has been replaced with Mile-High fans pronouncing his name, Tee-boooooo? Romans 8:18?


FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: I still think the Nike line is masterful..."Just do it!"////FROM JACK: I don't get ( it)! which reminds me of the slogan of The Washington Post: "If you don't get it, you don't get it."





No comments: