Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Winning Words 6/7/11
“We play the hands of cards life gives us, and the worst hands can make us the best players.” (Doc Searls) Liesa sent me something her father had saved which described how a deck of cards can serve as a Bible. The ace is God; the 3 stands for the Trinity; the Queen is Mary; the Jack is the Devil; can you figure out the rest? Good or bad hands, the game isn’t over till it’s over. God deals the last hand. ;-) Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: "Ya gotta know when to hold them and know when to fold them!" Kenny Rogers We played a lot of cards growing up. A lot of Kings-in-the-Corner, War, Rummy 500 and a lot more. Many times I don't play with a full deck either!////FROM JACK: I remember some who told me that playing cards was a sin. I never thought that my parents were sinning when they played poker with friends. But to be on the safe side, I never learned to play poker. I wonder if cards are allowed in heaven.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: Appropriate to the NBA Play offs as well. Have enjoyed them more this year than in a long time. Cliff probably won’t agree as he is a Lakers fan.////FROM JACK: Oh, is there a basketball playoff going on? The Pistons are now owned by a Californian billionaire who grew up in Flint, Michigan.////FROM CLIFF: Also now a Dallas fan.////FROM JACK: I'm no Cuban fan, or LeBron fan, for that matter.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: To paraphrase Will Rogers, "I never met a card game I didn't like!" My Methodist grandpa (much beloved!) did not allow cards in the house, but my mother and dad were avid bridge players, and I learned that, and 500, Canasta, Euchre, pinochle, Kings-in-the-Corner, Rummy, etc. etc. etc. but never poker, tho my oldest son is an excellent player...It takes brain power to play the hand you are dealt, in any card game, as well as the cards we are dealt in life! Hannibal Buress (comedian) notes, "When people go through something rough in life, they say, "I'm taking it one day at a time. Yes, so is everybody, because that's how time works! " So, one day at a time, let's play our cards to the glory of God, and the good of our fellow Earth travelers!////FROM JACK: Mary, grandson Joseph and I are avid Old Maid players. It's fun to hide the OM from the one who is drawing from the hand that has been dealt.

FROM MOLINE CF: The 10 is for the Commandments.////FROM JACK: You've got that one right, but there are more to go.////MORE FROM CF: The five is for Five Golden Rings.////FROM JACK: Joker!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Yes, everyone needs challenges in life to stay strong and to appreciate and count his/her blessings. Life is definitely harder for some than for others. Job is a good example of that truth.////FROM JACK: One of my "challenged" friends has told me that challenges have made him a better person. As I said in WWs, the last hand has yet to be dealt.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: My friend, Tony lives in Troy, and is a pal I befriended through the Stephen Ministry. He's a great guy and a super dad to his son. He's struggled with kidney failure and dialysis for years, and now he's been dealt the additional burden of the "cancer card"--sort of like getting "the old maid" card! The hand he's been dealt has been a tough one to play, but you would never know it to talk to him! In the midst of his pain and trials, he still gives the gift of compassionate outreach to others through Stephen Ministry. The blessed Trinity lives within him, and shines for all to see! It is a joy to know him. I felt very forlorn this morning, thinking about cancer, and the loss of my dad as his birthday approaches. But remembering Tony's many trials and relaying his gifts and strengths to you has lifted me up. Hope you have a great day, Jack!
PS: I heard a quote yesterday somewhere (maybe you sent it to me?) that was something like, "Lousy cards make better players." It was better than that, but that's the gist of it. It struck a nerve for me when I heard it--we can't be good at overcoming unless we have to overcome... Tony's a perfect example of a GREAT card player!////FROM JACK: Isn't it interesting to see how inspiration comes to us in unusual ways? Do you know the song...His Eye Is On the Sparrow?
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.
















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first met my husband's family in Iowa, they always played Michigan Rummy. I learned how to play that card game too. Little did I know we would eventually end up livng in Michigan.
S.H. in MI