Thursday, June 23, 2011

Winning Words 6/23/11
“Yet, taught by time, my heart has learned to glow for other’s good and melt at other’s woe.” (Homer) I imagine more people today are familiar with Homer Simpson than with Homer, the epic Greek poet. Contrast what the original Homer said with this by today’s Homer. “Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.” Satire is Matt Groening’s way of expressing the same message. ;-) Jack

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Speaking of Homers, did you know that Babe Ruth hit more homers for number of times at bat than ANYBODY?////FROM JACK: My heart "glows" after reading your good answer.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I've never watched the Simpson's. I love the Winning Words today though because I think as we age, we grow more emotional. We understand more of people's joy and people's pain as we relate it to ours. My mother cried a lot....mostly happy tears but things woes did make her cry, even if it was on a tv program and wasn't real. I could never understand why she was so emotional and she would always say, "Just wait Judy, you will do the same thing." And so I do. It's a good thing I think!////FROM JACK: Watching The Simpsons should be on your "bucket list," if only to be on tune with what young people like these days. If you remember that much of it is satire, you should get the underlying message.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Our empathy (and ability to shed tears!) surely increases with the years, probably because of our diverse happy and sad experiences...we have walked in their shoes perhaps. I never could really connect with the Simpson's, but watched it occasionally because my one grandson (now 33, married and still addicted) was such a fan. The tongue-in-cheek humor appeals to the younger generation, and as you say, they get that message, kind of reverse psychology. They are not idols to be emulated...I recall a phrase that struck a cord with Bill, from the Greek philosopher, Zeno (Stoic) :"The masses are asses...the few will always rule." It often seems so!////FROM JACK: The more I see and read The Simpsons, the more I seem to understand the Groening humor. Rather than calling it "reverse psychology," I see it as a way of getting into younger minds using that which appears to be anti-establishment. My sister DOES NOT like Bart Simpson, so I usually send mail to her using Bart Simpson stamps, issued by the Postal Service.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: We definitely have more experience with those WW than we did when we were younger Life is a challenge even for an optimist.////FROM JACK: The younger folks have not had the experiences of older folks, and some of the older folks have forgotten the experiences they had when they were younger folks. It has ever been.

FROM THE MASTER IN OSAGE: Homer Simpson and his family never fail to bring me a special enjoyment. I don't tune in often, but when I do I get some great laughs. "Gracie films" indeed. The the original Homer quote? Such fine wisdom for the ages!////FROM JACK: I like The Simpsons, but why don't I watch it more often? Too busy channel surfing, maybe.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: We've watched the Simpsons from time to time...laughed a lot too...but somehow it hasn't been addictive or habit-forming. It will be interesting to see how long Homer Simpson and gang remain through the years. By contrast, it's impressive the length of time Homer the Poet and his words have endured, and remain beautiful to ponder.////FROM JACK: How often have we consulted the TV schedule or become enamored with the headlines, instead of Googling the writings of Homer, or visiting the Art Institute? I plead, Guilty!








No comments: