Thursday, June 02, 2011

Winning Words 6/2/11
“The last bastions for creative thinking are the car, the john, the shower, the gym, and church.” (Reader’s Digest) Sometimes creative thinking happens when you’re waiting for someone. Last week, while “waiting,” I picked up a copy of the Digest and saw today’s quote. It caused me to marvel at how the brain continues to work in ordinary bastions and says, “Here’s an idea to think about.” ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: ...and waiting on the phone. That's also become, over the years, since all the automation has come in, when I pray a considerable time.////FROM JACK: I'm reminded of a line from an old Irving Berlin song..."All alone by the telephone...Waiting for a ring, a ting-a-ling.""

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Love this, Jack! So many times at work I've been completely stumped by a computer problem. I say,"OK, Lord, I'm all out of ideas! You know I'm not doing this work for my glory, but for the kids and for You! If u want this to happen, then You gotta give me something!" Then I go get a cup of coffee, or chat with a co-worker. When I get back to my desk, soooo many times a new idea is there! It's amazing, and I believe an answer to my prayerful plea! Maybe everyone's brain just works like this, but I see the Father's gentle hand in it...////FROM JACK: The Lord is closer (and more involved) than many of us realize. Oh, we know that he's near...even closer than our skin.

FROM JL IN MICHIGAN: I also keep a pad of paper and pen near my bed at night; sometimes wake up with a good idea on a matter. Add that to the list.////FROM JACK: It's amazing how our brain continues to work even when the rest of our body is asleep. I know of someone who keeps a recording device by the bed to record ideas that come to mind.

FROM MOLINER CF: The mind works best when you are doing "mindless" things.////FROM JACK: Do you pay overtime wages?

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: some of my best thinking is done sitting on the mower cutting grass. no one can bother me there.////FROM JACK: I heard of people thinking while sitting on a John. Now, you say that you do your thinking while sitting on a Deere.

FROM SA IN VEGAS: We have a book of Wisconsin trivia in our john.////FROM JACK: Each year I give my children a book of devotions to keep in "the room." It's called (appropriately enuf)...Three Minutes a Day!

FROM BLAZING OAKS: My husband often had good thoughts while fishing on the lake in WI, and in P'burg...he said to be out on the water was blessing enough, to catch a good fish was a bonus! I still recall perfectly the June 26th, I pulled in a 7#2oz big mouth bass from Balsam Lake, WI, where we vacationed for 34 yrs. Those lucky enough to live on the water, are lucky enough!! I have a pillow that says, "Heaven seems a little closer, in a house beside the water." Too true...Can be a meditative place. I have several UNCLE JOHN'S BATHROOM READERS. placed in our 3 bathrooms. They are informative, and very entertaining; a source of trivia for sure! Good quote, I take the R.D. so should have seen it!////FROM JACK: Yes, being in a boat and fishing on a quite lake can be "heaven." Those living in houses by the Mississippi River and Red River might call that living...something else.

FROM DAVID LM: Oh, yes! Those miles on the road, the minutes on the throne, the quiet meditation during worship. Truly!////FROM JACK: In olden days, the privy was a place for quiet meditation. Thomas Jefferson removed the last outhouse from the lawn of the White House. I'll bet you didn't know that.

FROM JM IN MICHIGAN: The writer of that quote needs to spend time ironing shirts and washing dishes by hand, and maybe even cooking something that needs stirring for a long time.////FROM JACK: Somehow, I didn't expect that response from you. No wonder Mary won't let me help with the dishes. She's thinking. She's thinking that I won't get them as clean as she does. And I'm thinking...mmmmm, that maybe I should get her a dish washer.////MORE FROM JM: Thanks for the chuckle! As one colleague said, "I get my best ideas driving home *after* the meeting!" Maybe doing somewhat mindless activity allows our brains to go into a mode that gives the Holy Spirit little interference in getting through!









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and waiting on the phone. That's also become, over the years, since all the automation has come in, when I pray a considerable time.
S.H. in MI