Thursday, January 06, 2011

Winning Words 1/6/11
“If only there were a longer time between epiphany and epitaph.” (David Glaser) As I recall some of the Greek language I learned, Epiphany can mean, “Aha, now I get it.” Epitaph means, “Writing on a tombstone.” So, I wish for you and me…a long time between our “aha-moment” and our last breath. BTW, have you given any thought to what you might want written on your tombstone? ;-) Jack

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: George Carlin said that what he wanted was "He was here just a minute ago!" FROM JACK: There are just so many breaths. One will be the last.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Maybe it would be interesting to have a blank tombstone...the grave of the unknown citizen. FROM JACK: Unless we are terribly controlling, someone else determines the wording.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: Yes. On my tombstone......GO SPARTANS! (in green, of course) FROM JACK: How about, "GO SPARTANS! GONE JOSEPHINE!"

FROM YOOPER PAT: I always thought it should be something like "She did try " But since I plan to be cremated and have my ashes scattered over the rocks at the edge of Lake Superior at Esrey Park there won't be a tombstone. FROM JACK: How about having some of your ashes should be scattered where Jesus walked? MORE FROM PAT: Wow --- I would never even have considered that! My immediate reaction is I'm not worthy tho that doesn't make a lot of sense since I've walked there.

FROM MOLINER CF: "No dancimg" FROM JACK: That's too bad. You could be dancing with the stars. Have you ever heard (or sung) this song? Dance, then, wherever you may be I am the lord of the dance said he And I lead you all wherever you may be And I lead you all in the dance said he.

FROM MKH IN MICHIGAN: How about cheese and pepperoni please! FROM JACK: Pizza needs a "hot" oven. MORE FROM MKH: Seriously how about I will see you on the other side! My Dad always said if something happens I will wait for you on the other side! He is! FROM JACK: Hold on to those words.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Good Winning Words! Actually, the choir had an idea for my tombstone a long time ago...it was "She got the notes but never the words". I guess that tells it all. For me, I would just say, "Loved the Lord". I could add a bunch of others I love but they already know! FROM JACK: How about...."She's looking for an outhouse in heaven."?

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: Interesting. Not sure I want one. If I do, I have given whimsical thought to “How old is the guy that lives in this Place?” One time a friend came to a party at our house, entering through the back yard with a young nephew of his, who after looking at a lot of the play things in the back yard and in our basement, turned to our guest (with whom I was also walking and not yet introduced as the host) and the
young nephew said “How old is the guy that lives in this place?” Time to start thinking about it. FROM JACK: We are the age that is within us. Circumstances do have a way of changing that feeling.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I was just thinking of that yesterday! My all-time favorite (Groucho Marx?) is "I told you I was sick." I'm thinking along the lines of "It was bound to happen sometime..." FROM JACK: There's one in our cemetery which reads: "STILL DANCING IN HEAVEN!"

FROM IA IN MICHIGAN: My goal is to live foreever & so far I'm right on track..so I don't want to waste my money on a tombstone... FROM JACK: If your surviving relatives are like you, they won't waste money on a tombstone, that is, if you die

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: We're trying to figure out where our tombstones should be--should they be in Iowa where most of our families are or here in the Detroit area where probably no one will come to read them and decorate them with flowers, etc., etc., except maybe Brenda will make the trip up once in a while. Actually, we should probably write something catchy that a stranger will wonder about. Hopefully, we still have a little time to think. FROM JACK: There's an old song...."Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think. Enjoy yourself, while you're still in the pink." Why not have a memorial stone in both places?

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: Your words today remind me of the old quote which we have discussed over the years-"Too soon old; too late smart." I hope they remember to put the "e" on my name. FROM JACK: When we bought "a plot" the lady at the cemetery who showed it to us pointed out that it would be by a grave that had a statue on it. "I hope you don't mind that you'd be facing the Virgin Mary."

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Yes, I have a saying that is true for me:
One day My life will end
And if some whim
Should prompt you to review it,
Let her who knew the subject best
Tell you the simplest way to do it.
Then say: Here lies one doubly blest.
Say: She was Happy!
Say: She knew it!
I had my dau-in-law write this in Calligraphy and frame it. It sits on my credenza, and hopefully, when the time comes, my family will have it read as a final comment at my Memorial Service! I tell them often that when my time comes to leave this wonderful Earth, to remember I had a WONDERFUL BLESSED life and knew it! I love this saying today...but those of us blessed with many years, have to bear the losses, as well...that is the hard part.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're trying to figure out where our tombstones should be--should they be in Iowa where most of our families are or here in the Detroit area where probably no one will come to read them and decorate them with flowers, etc., etc., except maybe Brenda will make the trip up once in a while. Actually, we should probably write something catchy that a stranger will wonder about. Hopefully, we still have a little time to think.

S.H. in MI