Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Winning Words 1/5/11
“The first duty of love is to listen.” (Paul Tillich) I read recently that the average person, after listening to someone talk, recalls 25% of what has been said. We need to improve on that if we are to have better relationships in the home, at work, or wherever. Someone said, “My husband and I had words this morning, but I didn’t get to use mine.” We all need to work at listening, don’t we? ;-) Jack.

FROM YOOPER PAT: Excellent --- I think I will make this my New Year's resolution --- to listen better. FROM JACK: Would you repeat that, please?

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: ...and remember. FROM JACK: Do you find that harder to do nowadays? MORE FROM ML: not when it comes to love, but sometimes other things slip-slide away!

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Yes, work at listening and also not prejudging what I think the conversation is going to be about. Also, when talking, pay attention to my tone of voice and don't be so sensitive of the other's tone of voice. 25% huh? Another good New Year's resolution, trying to get that number higher. FROM JACK: Yes, anticipating what is going to be said does seem to interfere with hearing what is really being said.

FROM PC IN MICHIGAN: Love today's quote! If only we would realize how very true this rings. I'm reading the book "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom which my husband gave me as a gift for Christmas. Really listening to each other seems to be a common theme we just need to grasp onto..... FROM JACK: It's amazing what we can learn, if we just listen.

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN: I read Paul Tillich in a Contemporary Theological Issues class I had in college. I can’t remember too much of what he said but I do remember the class brought me back to God. Also read Harry Emerson Fosdick and others. FROM JACK: One of the questions Tillich explored was, "What does it mean to be a human being?" Fosdick was "lighter" reading and concentrated more putting faith into action. If we keep our ears and eyes open, we can learn many things and make life more interesting.

FROM MOLINER CF: Say that again. I wasn't listening. FROM JACK: Open your eyes. I was writing, not speaking.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Thankfully, I married a good listener. He is the strong silent type but he listens very good. I am grateful! FROM JACK: "Count your many blessings, name them one by one..." and to have someone who really listens to you is one.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: It's one of the rules of marriage....I hope you're good at it... FROM JACK: I'm always tuned in. Sometimes she needs to turn up the volume.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Might I add the second duty is to GET TO THE POINT. FROM JACK: Sometimes, reading between the lines is hard to do. So is hearing between the words.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: What good words these are by which to live. FROM JACK: Just basic, common sense....which is sometimes rare, these days.

FROM OLE IN MICHIGAN: I'm sorry Jack, what was that again? Just kidding. Your are right! FROM JACK: One of the things AARP members soon get is an ad for hearing aids.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: Listening could be a good resolution. FROM JACK: Using the "r" word in another way, listening could be a resolution for many inter-personal squabbles.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Hard to beat Paul Tillich. Also hard to JUST listen without wanting to say something! At least if you are a vocal person. When my father first got acquainted with Bill, (whom he greatly admired on the football field already) he said, "I like Bill. he doesn't say something, unless he has something to say..."
FROM JACK: There are some Winning Words in what you have written. Some preachers could follow that advice. In fact, it applies to all of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, work at listening and also not prejudging what I think the conversation is going to be about. Also, when talking, pay attention to my tone of voice and don't be so sensitive of the other's tone of voice. 25% huh? Another good New Year's resolution, trying to get that number higher.
S.H. in MI