Thursday, January 27, 2011

Winning Words 1/27/11
“When you wallow with the pigs, expect to get dirty.” (Old Farmer’s Advice) I’ve heard these words more than once…and they haven’t been about playing in a pig pen. We have to be careful about choosing the people we hang out with. Parents often tell their kids to choose good friends, because young people are influenced by those around them. We older adults need to heed that advice, too. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: These kinds of words always perplex me. Jesus hung out with tax collectors and prostitutes but I must say I was always a little relieved at the friends my daughter chose. I guess the key word might be "wallow". Jesus stood up straight and wasn't dragged down by others' behaviors. Still, it's a perplexing WW; can we, do we want to do what Jesus did? Being with pigs is OK. FROM JACK: An analogy is not always perfect, especially when it's carried too far.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: It's a good analogy...the Old Farmer knew what he was talking about. That advice reminds me of other advice regarding pigs..."Don't cast your pearls before swine." (Matt. 7:6) Again, referring to relationships...giving to people who aren't worthy of your concern. FROM JACK: I have a problem with who is, and who is not, WORTHY. MORE FROM RI: That's a valid qualifier. I probably should have said, "don't expect anything from those who don't value what you give."

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: .......did somebody swipe your wallet? I "hang out" in the 2nd highest crime rate District in Baltimore.....my patients are an "interesting" crowd......"inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these..........". .....and they are my 'friends'. FROM JACK: You know what I mean! MORE FROM B'MORE: ........."wallow "means to "roll around in the mud with", whereas "hang out" can mean "associate with" on a regular basis......and perhaps that's the difference, since it is possible for "influence" to go both ways....I think....... FROM JACK: It's always good to hang out with you when you come back to Michigan for a visit. Wallowing is not for me.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: This one got a big chuckle from me. I heard this a LOT when I was growing up. Both from my parents and grandparents. My parents thought choosing friends was most important in our lives. They "mentored" our choices. Most of us did very well...a few had problems. But in the end, we all chose well. Praise God! FROM JACK: ...and praise all who cared about little Judy.

FROM MOLINER CF: There was a saying in the Marine Corps, "I'm glad I found you out before we hit the beach." I heed it to this day. FROM JACK: Semper Fidelis to one another.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: "Sleep with a dog and you'll wake up with fleas" was how my dad put it to me. FROM JACK: That's as good as the Old Farmer's advice....or better.

FROM AM IN MICHIGANl The nuns use to say "Show me your companions and I'll tell you who you are". They would have loved the seniors. FROM JACK: I wonder if the nuns "hung out" with anybody other than nuns. It doesn't matter....I was just wondering.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Such as "He who lays down with dogs, gets up with fleas"....I can remember Don Henss, who was a Representative for a couple of terms (His family and ours were good friends. He died last year saying, "Politics is dirty business...you find yourself in cahoots with strange bedfellows". In order to get anything done, you have to compromise and support some other guys platforms, so he would support you, etc. He'd had enough after two terms, I think it was. My 2nd son M has always befriended the underdogs, and those with problems. Makes for an "interesting" life! He is the Real Estate Education Coordinator for the State of Illinois, (Division of Banks and Real Estate) so has a lot of responsibility and stress. He isn't a steady church-goer or "Pillar of the church" like the other 3, but I'd say he's had a wide Christian influence out in the real world. He could have been a stand-up comedian. Always fun to be with, a quick wit. But I'd say he has definitely spent time with pigs, but not wallowed with them. :-) Jesus ate with prostitutes and sinners (!) according to the Pharisees FROM JACK: I've quoted it before, but in this case it needs repeating: "A certain amount of fleas is good for a dog." Another one from the Bible: "Be in the world, but not of the world."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These kind of words always perplex me. Jesus hung out with tax collectors and prostitutes but I must say I was always a little relieved at the friends my daughter chose. I guess the key word might be "wallow". Jesus stood up straight and wasn't drugged down by others' behaviors. Still, it's a perplexing WW, can we, do we want to do what Jesus did, does even now within some people and people are changed. Someones have been associating with me sometimes and God helped them to not be drugged down by my behaviors. thinking here. The WW are practical advice, especially we probably don't want to wallow. Being with pigs is OK.
S.H. in MI