Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Winning Words 1/25/11
“Every path has its puddles.” (Old Farmer’s Advice – Sent by GS) The Old Farmer’s Almanac started publishing in 1792 and is known for its long-range weather forecasts, recipes, advice and quotes. Today’s quote is typical of the ones found in the book. It’s just common sense. When you walk the path of life, you’re going to find some puddles. You can hop over them, slosh through them, or play in them. ;-) Jack

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Good advice! Reminds me of the saying "Life is 10% what you make it, and 90% how you take it." FROM JACK: The percentages seem to change with different personalities, but the goal is the same.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: i love puddles! reminds me of "singin' in the rain". i've done a great deal of that. FROM JACK: Some people wallow in puddles. Do you remember the WW 1 song, "Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag?" There are various ways to look at the problems of life.

FROM MOLINER CF: Wear your :"Wellies" at all times and just spash ahead. FROM JACK: I don't think that I've ever had a pair of Wellingtons. I do have some Norwegian rubbers...you know, the low-cut kind that are half there?

FROM CJL IN OHIO: I'm reading the "Farmer's Almanac". A piece at a time. Most interesting. It's fun. Heard so much about it. What do you think? FROM JACK: I think that next year I should ask Santa Claus for a copy.

FROM LP IN MICHIGAN: or play in them Funny how "puddles" seems initially to be a negative but I suppose it's all perspective. FROM JACK: I can imagine that your daughter would rather "play" in a puddle than do the adult thing...try to avoid it.

FROM YOOPER PAT: The 'play in them' was an unexpected turn tho I'm not sure why --- delightful! FROM JACK: Try to turn back the pages of time in your brain, and you will remember why puddles are sometimes a lot of fun.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I found out one thing about Michigan, you can walk out the door and it's blue and clear and then a couple of hours later it's raining. Then people say "Well, it's Michigan". It's been years now since I've owned a pair of shoes that aren't waterproof. The L.L. Beans are pricey but my feet never get wet which helps walking through the puddles. In the old days we used to put a pair of rubber boots over our shoes--what a pain!!!! And can you imagine carrying a pair of rubber boots around all the time? or wearing them out the door all the time? FROM JACK: Never judge a person until you walk through their puddles in their boots.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Ha! Made me smile...and depending on your mood of the day, you could do any one of the three: hop over, slosh through, or stop and play in the muddy water! I would guess that those are happiest who either hop over, or play, but what do I know? Maybe some serious sloshing is necessary to "get through" them. We used to have a yearly Farmer's Almanac when we served the Dixon Church. It is an interesting publication!! Brought back memories of long ago... FROM JACK: If your family is stumped on what to get you as a Christmas gift, why not suggest a copy of the latest OFA?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found out one thing about Michigan, you can walk out the door and it's blue and clear and then a couple of hours later it's raining. Then people say "Well, it's Michigan". It's been years now since I've owned a pair of shoes that aren't waterproof. The L.L. Beans are pricey but my feet never get wet which helps walking through the puddles. In the old days we used to put a pair of rubber boots over our shoes--what a pain!!!! And can you imagine carrying a pair of rubber boots around all the time? or wearing them out the door all the time?
S.H. in MI