Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Winning Words 1/19/11
“I can live two months with a good compliment.” (Mark Twain) How about giving a compliment to the first person you meet up with today…and note their reaction? Mark had his finger on the pulse of America. BTW, what’s your reaction to the new edition of Huckleberry Finn which replaces the “n” word with “slave?” Twain is known for attacks on racism, but I don’t think he’d approve of the revision. ;-) Jack

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: I can remember when the "n" word was used on a regular basis. I am glad that it is gone but I doubt if the word "slave" conveys the meaning of what Twain was saying in Huck Finn. FROM JACK: BTW, you always send thoughtful and interesting responses to my Winning Words. I can remember when the letter "h" was used instead of "hell." Now, the word, hell, seems commonplace. Some things have a way of reversing themselves. I'd be interested to know what words or letters of today will be "no nos" in the future. Do you have some thoughts on this?

FROM CS IN WISCONSIN: I believe some of this ‘political correctness’ is going too far. Why do they think that they can change history because they change a word or words in books or ban them from libraries? This is how generations to come will know how much we have grown or not by being allowed to read all kinds of books, watching old films, news reels, etc. We read about it also where they want to change things in our Bibles that God is a “she”. I just did a Bible study from “Lutheran Woman “ and the authors made reference to “some people envision God as a male entity, others relate to God in different ways. Male dominant language aside”… Cannot men be nurturing, caring, loving individuals without making them feminine? Thank you for making us think about things that we cannot change from the past and hopefully make us think about being better more caring people today-to everyone! FROM JACK: Part of our problem is a language problem. If our theology sees God as a non-gender Spirit, we have no descriptive word, if "it" is not acceptable. I see "him" as simply as a language form. I see no problem changing some hymn wording in order to make it inclusive. For example, "Good Christian friends rejoice" doesn't compromise the hymn in my mind. Other changes seem to be stretching the point for the sake of "political correctness." Back to Huck Finn....I think it's valid to ask, "What would the author think?"

FROM RI IN BOSOTN: Twain's book Huckleberry Finn has been considered a children's book, but it deals with adult issues. For me the situations in the story became much more explicit when I read the book again for a college English class. Maybe the book should be delayed for study until high school level classes. Just in principle I don't think an author's writing should be changed to suit public opinion. FROM JACK: Was the book ever "banned in Boston?" Book banning and book alterations and book burning are like people who try to get rid of a puddle on the floor by stomping on it. I don't thin that I suffered, because I read Huck Finn before I reached high school. That experience simply inspired me to read other books, like those written by Booth Tarkington.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Among young black people I hear language that seems to bind them together, when you're fighting the enemy of prejudice and stereotyping and devaluing and just looking and judging on the surface of things, seems like people say things and do signs that are aimed at taking away the brutal power of words used by people who want to put down. I believe Twain probably was more in tune with both niggers and slaves than some people whose highest aim is to be politically correct. I still have a lot of trouble with hearing the "F" word and wonder what people really think about sex in our American society. There may be more emotional and physical abuse than we'd ever like to acknowledge. Thanks for your WW. We need to talk about these things. FROM JACK: Thanks for "telling it like it is." You have pointed out that this is more than a discussion about whether to use a "letter" instead of a "word."


FROM WATERFORD JAN: If every disparaging nickname for every group of people is removed from all literature, which is large-scale censorship, is that really what should happen? That would have to include the word "Honky" as well. I have been told by some "Black" friends that the "N" word is used among the Black community. There are many words that should not be used in polite company, and we can't control that, but we can rise above name-calling and not use words that should not be used as nouns or adjectives. A recent
commentary about Mark Twain's writing cited the character Jim as the "good guy." That is also the case in Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin. Uncle Tom was a hero. I suspect that some of the criticism of Twain's book comes from the use of one word, and not from people who have actually read the story in its entirety.
FROM JACK: Since today's WWs was about the value of giving someone a compliment, I want to compliment you on your response. I find it interesting that all of the responses so far have related to something that wasn't in the quote. I must have touched a nerve. MORE FROM JAN: You provide thought-provoking quotations and we respond to your question instead. I agree about a compliment generating good feelings. I often pretend to put a gold star on someone's forehead for some deed they've done or words they've said. It never fails to cause a smile, especially after they realize I'm not trying to hit them. FROM JACK: You mean you actually carry a pack of gold stars with you?

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: No revision. Let us go forward in our thoughts and actions. FROM JACK: No revisions, except for life, once in a while.

FROM FISH IN NOVA SCOTIA: I agree with you. Same for “Money for Nothin’” which I’m sure you’ve heard about. But I might feel different if I had a different history. I was thinking yesterday about the movie “Blazing Saddles”, which savagely satirized whites but with language that certainly was not politically correct. Or Blues Brothers, where Cab Calloway’s character said “What’s one more old “n” to the Chicago Board of Education?”
FROM JACK: The movies don't seem to bother with just a letter, standing for a word. "Gone With the Wind,"
for example. Clark Gable could have said, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a d---!"

FROM DC IN KANSAS: Didn't MLK use the n-word in his "I Have a Dream" speech? FROM JACK: I recall hearing him refer to Negroes, but I would have to research the "n" word. BTW, did you know that the "Dream" speech was first given in Detroit? MORE FROM DC: No! You sure know a lot!!! I expect he probably used "negroes" and not "niggers." But I hestiate to use even "negroes."

FROM MOLINER CF: I'm surprised at Mark. Ever heard of a BAD compliment?( I know; that's not your point.) I don't approve of the revision either, but that doesn't make me a racist. The expression was a product of the time. That time has passed but history remains. FROM JACK: A bad compliment is one where a person praises, and then qualifies it. "You gave a good response to today's Winning Words, but you could have done better." I'm just using this as an example. You always give an erudite commentary. MORE FROM CF: Thank you for the qualified compliment. I can always depend on you. FROM JACK: You just reminded me of a phrase that you don't hear much anymore....A backhanded compliment.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: I couldn't agree with you more. My son and I just read HF this past year and reading it aloud, it's hard to say the N word with such consistency but Twain has a disclaimer in the preface about all of his vernacular and says that the manner of speaking depicts regional nuances that are important to the characters and the book. That said, I still loved Little Black Sambo and I don't care what color…as a child, I just wanted him to scoot away from the tigers and think about my pancakes. FROM JACK: I couldn't agree with you more. Upon researching the Sambo name, I can see why some might consider it to be in the came category as the "n" words. Sometimes we think we know more than we do. MORE FROM BBC: Fascinating…I did not know it was a slur, nor that it originally connoted a person of mixed race with no negative or nasty implications. You learn something new every day and I often learn that something from your blog. Thanks!

FROM JL IN MICHIGAN: Editing the book maybe makes young black children feel a little better about themselves when they are at a young age. But, someday, they will be exposed to photos, which cannot be edited, showing "colored only" at drinking fountains; and much more. History is history, good and bad. That's my take. FROM JACK: Anyone who tries to rewrite history has a never-ending task. How about those who re-interpret and rewrite laws? MORE FROM JL: Interpretation of laws is the constitutional job of the judiciary. Over years and succeeding generations, those interpretations may change. Example: Endless
arguments over the Roe v. Wade decision and whether it should be overturned. As for laws, these are written by legislative bodies and must be prospective in nature. Otherwise, I agree, history can't be re-written.

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: I believe we need to keep the integrity of the words, as long as they don't need to be translated from another language, for all literature, such as Shakespeare and Mark Twain. People can't revise history, though they may try in their own minds. Yes, the "n" word is offensive; it was offensive to slaves and free black persons at the time Twain wrote the story. But, some of the things in Shakespeare's plays were also offensive -- he was a pretty bawdy playwright sometimes -- and we don't touch his stuff! I'm not a fan of the King James version of the Holy Bible, but I respect the integrity of that era in "allowing" it to call speech-impaired persons "dumb" -- which has a whole different meaning in today's vernacular. We learn about the perspective of another era or another culture by keeping those words in the context in which they were written; and hope that a later generation will not change or delete what we write and publish today "at will". FROM JACK: I remember reading about a respected biblical theologian who was asked which was the best translation of the Bible. He replied that he uses about eight. The operative question in all of this is: "What do you mean?" When preachers preach, they are attempting to explain the meaning of words. It's a never-ending task as generations come and go.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: I agree. Leave Twain stand as written. Politically correct can often be shallow. FROM JACK: ....and I suppose you don't want anyone messing with the wording of your sermons after your gone, either! MORE FROM CWR: ....right on. Preaching is "for the moment" and moments evolve. That's why it is difficult to "recycle" sermons....re-do them maybe, but don't mess with the original. Keep that within time context. With Twain......maybe a "current" preface to explain Twain's historic context would be helpful....and protect "virgin" ears from the raw historic context within which Twain wrote.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I don't approve of the revision either. Censoring literature doesn't sound American to me. FROM JACK: In reading to my young children, I sometimes "revised" the story that was written. Did you ever do that? I'm not saying that this applies to rewriting Huck Finn; it's just a memory I have. MORE FROM LIZ: I used such instances as "teaching moments" when they came up. But I get what you're saying. There are some things I just plain avoided-- Bambi, for one. (As did my mother with me.) My friend, Karen, who has two kids with autism, renamed "Dumbo" "Jumbo" with a big, fat marker to every page. We have our own styles, but we all do our best! FROM JACK: Karen is a wise and caring mom. This world needs more like her.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I taught Huckleberry Finn to my Lit. students, and the N word was always understood to be the language of that time...never a problem! I don't think they should mess with a classic, and Mark Twain would NOT be pleased! :-( A leader of a workshop I took challenged us once to give 3 sincere compliments day. It makes you more observant when you are looking for something to compliment, and they are always much appreciated. A very positive thing to do: and always to receive a compliment graciously, as well. Some folks seem to think they have to refute your good words to them, in the name of modesty or humbleness! A simple "Why, thank you!" with a smile is sufficient. Or maybe a humorous acquiescence! :-) I appreciate the thought you give to sharing Winning Words with us! SINCERELY! FROM JACK: I can't remember when a Winning Words quote and "observation" received as much feedback as today's. Thanks for your comment. Good, as always.

FROM BF IN MICHIGAN: Not sure the word change affects the story; but the consideration is noteworthy.
FROM JACK: True, the story does not hinge on that word; the issue, for some, is whether or not an author's words should be altered. And, for what reason, is yet another issue. Thanks for your response.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: You're right, and neither do I. It's too bad the way we take the uncomfortable out of what we have. I guess it's one way of protecting our self against it! FROM JACK: There's a problem in becoming too comfortable. I once read this quote: "A certain amount of fleas are good for any dog."

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: I agree with you regarding the changing of Twain's language. The "n" word is one I've never used and find very offensive but I don't think an author's work should be changed. What one writes reflects the place, time and culture of when it was written. If it is not what he wrote it is no longer Mark Twain's. FROM JACK: But, what are your thoughts on receiving and giving compliments?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Among young black people I hear language that seems to bind them together, when you're fighting the enemy of prejudice and stereotyping and devaluing and just looking and judging on the surface of things, seems like people say things and do signs that are aimed at taking away the brutal power of words used by people who want to put down. I believe Twain probably was more in tune with both niggers and slaves than some people whose highest aim is to be politically correct. I still have a lot of trouble with hearing the "F" word and wonder what people really think about sex in our American society. There may be more emotional and physical abuse than we'd ever like to acknowledge.
Thanks for your WW. We need to talk about these things.
S.H. in MI