Friday, January 14, 2011

Winning Words 1/14/11
“At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.” (Frida Kahlo) I was surprised to learn that FDR is credited with the saying…”When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” His rope included paralysis, the Great Depression, World War 2 and failing health. It’s truly amazing what some people are able to do when adversity strikes. Do you have a story? ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I like the Frida Kahlo quote. Regarding the follow-up: FDR is often credited with the end of your rope line, but so are Jefferson, Lincoln, and Ben Franklin. The first evidence of it in writing is The School Executive 42(1923): [n.p.]. A few years ago when Obama was called out for plagiarizing lines of a speech explaining how a great country is made up great states, counties, cities, neighborhoods, families, and
individuals; Patrick Duvall stepped forward and said the words were from his inauguration and Obama had permission to use them. Yet the words (even the cadence and delivery) were from Dr. Tony Evans, a prominent evangelical preacher from Dallas TX, given in a speech I attended, a Promise Keepers Event in 1994 63,000 men in the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. And of course I have a tape somewhere from Dr. Evans, it is one of his signature rants. It is often very difficult to keep track of these type of things. I think much is credited to Ben Franklin and others, because it 'sounds' like something they would have said. Have a good day sir. We begin a study of Deuteronomy this evening. FROM JACK: The more I hang around with quotes, the more I come to understand that there are very few "original" sayings. The "rope" quote didn't seem right as coming from FDR, but I used it, especially for that reason. I always give some source, even if it's (unknown). I suppose it's the same way with songwriting, both lyrics and music. Deuteronomy will probably be no exception.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: ........you bet I do. FROM JACK: You could write a book, and I'd buy it.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We can and do endure much more than we think we can each and every day! I loved this quote! I wonder if she believed we receive help from above to get through each day! I came across this quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin..."Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man." FROM JACK: I was surprised to learn that she was married to Diego Rivera. Life was storm-tossed for her, and she died at age 46. In her diary she, just before her death, she wrote, "I hope that my end is a joyful one...and that I never come back."

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I am surprised that FDR originated that saying, as well. Having read NO ORDINARY TIME, the Pulitzer Prize winning autobiography of Franklin and Eleanor (fascinating!), i didn't get the idea that he was either religious or philosophical. However, I think it is true that you can find strength to do whatever is required in your life situation. You look back, and wonder how you did it and survived! When I was
teaching full time, directing 5 church choirs, (as well as 3 school choirs, plays. programs and concerts,) raising four children and doing the Pastor's Wife responsibilities, I didn't sleep much, but was able to do it all. And tending My husband (at various times ) through the 9 heart by-passes, another heart attack, and then the final brain tumor cancer, serving on State, Regional and National AB Boards, all were stressful, but the strength was provided, and even a cheerful heart!! So at the end of the day, you look back, and see that you were able to persevere! Amazing! FROM JACK: I doubt that FDR originated the quote, although he may have used it. It sounds as though you had several knots at the end of your rope.

No comments: