Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Winning Words 1/11/11
“One kind word can warm three winter months.” (Japanese Proverb) This morning the temperature on our thermometer is +20 degrees. It may be warmer or colder where you are, but we can make life more pleasant for some people today, if we just go out of our way to say a kind word to them. I read of a man who sends a hand-written thank-you note each day of the year to people who have shown him a kindness. ;-) Jack

FROM DREM IN MICHIGAN: Thank you for your daily inspiration. I look forward to reading your comments and always get an 'a-ha' or a good chuckle. I made a resolution to write 5 handwritten thank you's a week this year, especially to my patients or friends who referred others to me. Such a lost art! By the way, I'd love some warmer temps myself. Looking forward to spring already! FROM JACK: Groundhog Day is the start of spring for me. I've got a couple of >"thank yous" that I need to write. Today seems like a good time to send them.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Nice idea... Yesterday I saw a homeless woman standing in the cold at 8 Mile n I-75 overpass. I gave her money, but now that I'm lying in my warm bed this morning in northern Michigan, I wish I would have done more... I pray that she survived the night... May our Father bless and protect all those without a home, and bless especially all those who think that no one ever prays for them! In the name of our Savior, Jesus, who understood well what it meant to be without permanent housing and to depend on the
generosity of strangers, I pray. FROM JACK: The words of Jesus, "Inasmuch as you have done for the least of these, you have done it for me," seem appropriate for what you did yesterday.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Great WW. Especially when people can be afflicted with that sort of depression that occurs when there is less light or it's more gray and snowy outside. The Japanese must have this kind of weather pattern too and what it does to the nerves. But I especially appreciate your own commentary that we "just go out of our way" that kind of make-sense language just inspires me to try to go higher in my thoughts and actions than I would have otherwise. May kindness be spread all over the world today. FROM JACK: Someone greeted me with a kind word this morning, and I said, "Thanks," without realizing that the person had already read today's Winning Words and was putting them into action.

FROM MOLINER CF: I wonder who feels better upon an act of kindness... giver or receiver? It's a win-win proposition. FROM JACK: It's like that with forgiveness, too. Who feels better, the forgiver or the forgiven? Now, we're getting into an area that takes some deep thought.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: This man (365 Thank You notes) was written up in Reader's Digest. A very good article! Yes, a kind word will always be so much appreciated! Another excellent article in this month's Reader's Digest is by a Prof. of Harvard Business School, Clayton M. Christensen, titled "The Bottom Line on
Happiness." I hope my grandchildren can read it!! Anyway, it is cold and snowy here, so maybe a kind word will come along and brighten, (warm) the day and month! :-) FROM JACK: I first remember being introduced to the Digest in high school English class. I haven't read it very often lately. I read about the "thank-you note man" in one of my devotional books.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: Recently,I had a discussion with a family member about thank you notes; when appropriate or necessary and when not. Notes are always appropriate and very appreciated. Cheers for that note writer and you, for Winning Words. FROM JACK: I'm wondering. Is a thank-you note a thank-you note if there's not a real feeling of thankfulness. If some says the obligatory, "I'm sorry," is there real sorrow?

FROM SG IN TAMPA: What great idea the thank you notes are. Speaking of weather, we have just returned from a quick road trip up to Birmingham, AL, Asheville, NC, and Washington, D.C. Luckily. we were just ahead of the snow and ice storms, but the coldest it got was 14. It was all very beautiful with the snow on the mountainsides. Also we were able to see the Newseum which was very interesting with many exhibits, including newspapers through history, a memorial to fallen journalists, the unabomber's cabin, the largest collection of Pulitzer Prize photographs, and many others. Now back in Tampa we are expecting freezing weather tomorrow night, but it never lasts long. FROM JACK: Thanks for your "nice" response. Of course, writing has always been a skill of yours. 6" of snow expected tonight here in Michigan.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Jack,

Thank you for your daily inspiration. I look forward to reading your comments and always get an 'a-ha' or a good chuckle.

I made a resolution to write 5 handwritten thank you's a week this year, especially to my patients or friends who referred
others to me. Such a lost art!

By the way, I'd love some warmer temps myself.

Looking forward to spring already!

Anonymous said...

Great WW. Especially when people can be afflicted with that sort of depression that occurs when there is less light or it's more gray and snowy outside. The Japanese must have this kind of weather pattern too and what it does to the nerves. But I especially appreciate your own commentary that we "just go out of our way" that kind of make-sense language just inspires me to try to go higher in my thoughts and actions than I would have otherwise. May kindness be spread all over the world today.
S.H. in MI