Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Winning Words 10/5/10
“A friend is someone who sees through you and still enjoys the view.” (Wilma Askinas) I don’t know much about Wilma. Was she that woman, married to Fred Flintstone? No…she was a famous athlete and author who died in 2007. Her book, “Splice of Life,” gives insight into human character. Today’s quote is one of those insights. A friend is one who knows us and still likes us. ;-) Jack

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: That's funny! Did you see the panel discussion on ABC's "This Week with Christiane Amanpour"? The topic was "Should Americans fear Islam?" She actually had people on both sides of the issue and an audience who participated. FROM JACK: No, I didn't happen to see it. I like what FDR once said: "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself." Part of the educator's role is take away the "bogey man." Christiane is one of my favorite newspersons. I don't think that many people know that she was born in Iran. I found it interesting to go to an Open House at the mosque in our community.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: There's also a variation that goes 'A friend is someone who knows you very well, and likes you anyway!' But no matter how you say it...it rings true. FROM JACK: Who is a friend? Both you and Wilma have given a start on the answer to that question. More on that....?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: My best friends have stood by me through divorce, marriage, births, deaths, aging (although some of them are old now while I remain 29), problems, trails, and just life in general. Besides my family, they are my true joy! Thank you dear friends and thank you God! FROM JACK: I have a habit of calling some people "friends of mine," when they are really "acquaintances." There's a difference.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Today's Henri Nouwen meditation connected in my mind with your WW about all of us people seeing inside another and being friends. "When the two disciples recognised Jesus as he broke the bread for them in their house in Emmaus, he "vanished from their sight" (Luke 24:31). The recognition and the disappearance of Jesus are one and the same event. Why? Because the disciples recognised that their Lord
Jesus, the Christ, now lives in them ... that they have become Christ-bearers. Therefore, Jesus no longer sits across the table from them as the stranger, the guest, the friend with whom they can speak and from whom they can receive good counsel. He has become one with them. He has given them his own Spirit of Love. Their companion on the journey has become the companion of their souls. They are alive, yet it is no longer them, but Christ living in them (see Galatians 2:20)."

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I have a longtime friend from my youth with whom I have little in common. We think so differently about things, and our personal interests are unmatched. He lives some distance away yet we talk frequently and have continued to stay in touch over all the years. We know almost everything about each other but still take pleasure in sharing when we talk or visit. The thread that binds us together seems to be thin but it is very strong. I know I am far better for having him in my life and I hope I have contributed something to him. FROM JACK: I remember a song...."Friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship. When other friendships are forgot, ours will still be hot."

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: We have maintained a friendship, Jack, in spite of you getting to know me. I think that speaks highly of your kindness, forgiveness, and character. FROM JACK: By your writing and your songs, I can see right through you...at least dimly. "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood." (1 Cor 13:12) A face to face meeting for us may happen sometime.

FROM YOOPER NK: SO TRUE !!!!! YES, especially as you get older and forget or whatever. FROM JACK: Has da snow started to fly up dere? Does it get as deep as in da olden days?

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: Was she Wilma Rudolph? FROM JACK: Wrong Wilma, again, but still a good choice. The first American woman ever to win three gold medals in the Olympics, Wilma Rudolph overcame major obstacles to make her mark in the record books and in life. Rudolph contracted severe polio as a child. By age 16, she was an All-State basketball player and a bronze medalist in the 1956 Olympics. She attended Tennessee State University on a track scholarship, and returned for the 1960 Olympics - and Olympic glory, winning gold medals in the 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash and the 4 x 100 meter relay. She set world records in all three events. She was named United Press Athlete of the Year (1960), the AP Woman Athlete of the Year (1960, 1961) and received the Sullivan Award as the nation's top amateur athlete (1961). She has been inducted into the Women's Sports Hall of Fame and named one of five sports stars selected as America's Greatest Women Athletes by the Women's Sports Foundation, she is in the Black Sports Hall of Fame and the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame. Rudolph gave women's track a strong boost in America. Since her competition days, she has written a best-selling autobiography, Wilma, and created the Wilma Rudolph Foundation to train young athletes

FROM MOLINER CF: Acquaintances are a dime a dozen. Friendships are priceless. FROM JACK: "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver,and the other gold." (This is one of the first songs a Brownie Scout learns to sing at ceremonies)

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: ...And who was it that said if you have five real friends throughout life, that is, close friends, you are more fortunate than most. Most of our friendships tend to be more shallow than "bosom buddies". That's my perspective, anyway. I feel fortunate to have had my share of deep friendships. They are a blessing, and the quote is true about that! FROM JACK: Maybe we should grade them on a scale of 1 to 10. On second thought....Nah!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: A very big difference. Acquaintances are sometimes mere head-nodders as I call them. You nod to them as they come in and out of your life, but there is no relationship. Good comment. FROM JACK: Head-nodders....I like it. Nodding can mean, Hello...or, Yes, or No...or, My, my...or more?


No comments: