Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Winning Words 10/27/10
“Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.” (Vince Lombardi) Lombardi has often been misquoted with the words, “Winning is the only thing.” The Lombardi Years have been, for me, football at its best. The Packers really wanted to win “The Ice Bowl,” and if there had been “replays” back then, they might have lost. In life, it’s not a matter of wins and losses, it’s about how you have lived. ;-) Jack

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Say that again, coach! FROM JACK: I can see how these words might be applied to political contests. I've lived long enough to know that it's not over 'til it's over. I've also lived long enough to know that standing up for principles is more important than winning. I've also played enough sports to know that "playing the game" is actually more fun than what happens after the game is over...win or lose. As I said above: "In life, it's not a matter of wins and losses, it's about how you have lived."

FROM HAWKEYE GS: True. Sometimes I feel like I've fallen a little short of living to the fullest. FROM JACK: How about when you played b-ball; was winning the only thing? For me, wanting to win was right up there.

FROM DREM IN MICHIGAN: I think my Spartans really want to win this season. FROM JACK: They've wanted to win every year (Oh, how they've wanted to win!), but it hasn't always worked out. This year might be a championship one in both football and basketball.

FROM SH IN ILLINOIS: Steve was at THE ICE BOWL. FROM JACK: Now THAT is interesting. I hope that he stayed until the end.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: "Live a good life. In the end, it's not the years of life that counts, but the life in the years." A. Lincoln. Recognize this? FROM JACK: Recently, in our church, the pastor was giving the childrens message and asked, "Does anyone know who Abraham was?" One little girl raised her hand and said, "He was the president!"

FROM MOLINER CF: I still run my life on "Lombardi Time." I'd rather wait for the other guy than have him wait for me. FROM JACK: I like what Jerry Kramer said about Lombardi: "He treated all the same....like dogs."

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: When my son John was inducted into the Illinois Football Coaches Hall Of Fame (Champaign, IL) he used that quote in his acceptance speech. He often quoted it to his players, too. Wanting to win is the name of the game: Desire to excel. Lombardi was the epitome of successful coaching! Looks like the Rangers could use some inspiration in this World Series! I can't believe the Giants just beat them that badly! But our focus is to "win' in the game of life, and our faith certainly helps us to be victorious! :-) FROM JACK: The Hall of Fame recognizes more than wins and losses. Football (and baseball) is more than the stat sheet. And it's that way with life, too. What is a winner? That's something to think about today.

No comments: