Thursday, October 21, 2010

Winning Words 10/21/10
“Do not forget little kindnesses, and do not remember small faults.” (Chinese Proverb) I know of someone who is very good at writing “Thank You” notes. I only wish that I could do as well. My sister’s license plate reads: PLSNTENQ. She’s into saying those words. For most of us, saying “Thanks” is easier than finding an eraser to get rid of the small faults that mess up our mind. ;-) Jack

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: I've never heard that proverb before, but (happily) I was lucky enough to have learned to live by it a long time ago. FROM JACK: Osmosis is an interesting word and is applicable to more than scientific situations. Somehow, somewhere, you absorbed the essence of the proverb.

FROM MOLINER CF: The world needs faults to help us more appreciate the kindness. FROM JACK: Does this mean that the world needs evil to appreciate the good? If so, "The Garden of Eden" was not perfect until Adam ate the apple.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Great words today! FROM JACK: Thanks for your 3 little words of kindness. You didn't forget.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: And thank you for all of your Winning Words. It is hard to believe that it has been five years since that 60th class reunion. Somehow the days fly by with helping with the grandchildren, fun classes at USF, traveling, and enjoying our beautiful weather. Yes, I know that the fall is a great time in Michigan, but it doesn't last very long. FROM JACK: As the old movie newsreel used to proclaim: "Time Marches On." I could see that from the "reunion pictures CD" sent by Sunny. It's that way for all of us. ...and it has ever been. As to the subject of weather: the snowbirds have started to fly south as the beautiful leaves being to fall. On the other hand, we sent in our check for the annual snowplowing of our driveway, and the serviceman from the furnace company comes tomorrow to see that everything is in order for when the below zero weather arrives.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: i often quote Ogden Nash: when you are wrong, admit it. and when you are right, forget it! FROM JACK: In a way, I think that Ogden has a better way of putting it.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Please N Tenk You?! I would have to think longer than it takes to pass her car and plate to figure that one out, but it is clever. Fred's wife Judy has taught all of her children (Aaron, Emily and Allison) to write thank you notes...I always get a warm note for birthday gifts, Christmas, etc. It is a very nice thing to do. They are out of the home now, working or at college, but still always do this. I appreciate at
least Email thanks, which my g.daughter Abby does. Good proverb! We were taught in teacher-Ed, "Nothing improves a child's hearing, like a word of praise!" so true, and I've tried to follow that adage. My daughter in law Judy marveled at the self confidence and self esteem, that our kids seemed to have, and she said once, "If Fred was standing there picking his nose, I believe you would say, 'Fred, you pick your nose better than anyone I have ever seen!" Ha! None of my kids are shy...which is a good thing !

No comments: