Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Winning Words 10/19/10
“The friends of my friends are my friends.” (French Proverb) Recently, I heard someone raise the question, “How many close friends do you have?” Why not ask that of someone today. “What is meant by a friend, and a close friend?” I do know that I’d be inclined to like someone who is liked by a friend of mine. ;-) Jack

FROM NL IN INDIANA/FLORIDA: Good morning Jack: Boy you're up early too: I guess great minds have a tough time sleeping when they wake up, too much going on. FROM JACK: I've always been an early riser. When I was an young teen, I would get up in the dark and walk 3 + miles to the local dairy where I would hop on the milk truck and ride the route with the driver until he came to our house. I'd get off, eat a quick breakfast, and then go to school.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I have a close friend who introduced me years ago to her friends. We have made some strong friends with her "old friends". Interestingly enough, my "close friend" was quite jealous. We have worked it all out over the years and it has worked out nicely for all of us. Close friends are the ones who love us through thick and thin and don't "disappear" when times get tough. FROM JACK: I like the Bible verse (Proverbs 18:24): "One who would have friends must show himself/herself friendly; and there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother/sister."

FROM MOLINER CF: There are six degrees of separation between you and anyone else in the world. Within a chain of six friendships, you know everybody. you probably know Obama within no more than four friendships. FROM JACK: You're right. I'm on a first name basis with my congressman, and he's on a first name basis with Barak.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: You had a strange youth, Jack. I'm just sitting here chuckling and chuckling. To be frank, don't ever think I would ask a person how many close friends they have. They might say I'm the only one and then I would have to be totally responsible for them or something. But a homeless man who attends faithfully all our Bible studies and worships did volunteer last night as we were studying that he has two or three very close friends and of which our Pastor is his very closest friend now. Always enjoy WW and also all your comments and reading your blog--it is a bright spot in the day. FROM JACK: I enjoy sending out Winning Words to my internet friends. Most I know personally, and the others are friends of my friends.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Absolutely! FROM JACK: My friends are an eclectic mix, so if you like eclecticism, they might be for you.

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: It's funny that you chose that quote today...I have always believed that one can only have a few friends in life, but I must debunk that theory. There have been so many people who have reached out to me during my unemployment that I am truly overwhelmed. I guess if one defines a friend as someone who shows concern, empathy, and attempts to help, I have quite a few of them. FROM JACK: You have determined who are your friends. Like beauty, a friend is in the eye of the beholder. Empathy is different than sympathy and is the mark of a real friend.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: This reminds me of the book, "A Year In Provence"...written with humor about the friends, and friends of friends that they met living in Provence, France, and the friends and friends of friends, who "dropped in" for a few days while traveling in France! Endless company! Probably usually true that if the person was a friend of your good friend, there would be some kind of kinship or connection on your part. I'm pretty gregarious, but also a private person when it comes to deep sharing. Again, probably describes most of us...The French people were very friendly to Jan and I when we traveled there, and we didn't know the language... FROM JACK: I enjoyed the book, even though I've never been to France. My daughter spent a college term living in Provence and went back there with her family for a visit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You had a strange youth, Jack. I'm just sitting here chuckling and chuckling. To be frank, don't ever think I would ask a person how many close friends they have. They might say I'm the only one and then I would have to be totally responsible for them or something. But a homeless man who attends faithfully all our Bible studies and worships did volunteer last night as we were studying that he has two or three very close friends and us of which our Pastor is his very closest friend now. Always enjoy WW and also all your comments and reading your blog--it is a bright spot in the day.
S.H. in MI