Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Winning Words 6/29/10
“A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.” (Nelson Mandela) Mandela is the epitome of someone with a good head and a good heart. He spent 27 years in prison for protesting racism in South Africa. After his release, his priority was reconciliation. The Nobel Peace Prize is just one of hundreds of awards he’s received. I think of him “sometimes” when I watch the World Cup games. ;-) Jack

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Oh, I love Nelson Mandela! Thanks for this! FROM JACK: I'm sure that Nelson would be pleased to know of your feelings. If I had his e-mail, I'd forward your message to him.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Yes, an excellent combination head and heart—heart and soul! From Jonathan Swift--"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought." I’d remodel Swift’s words to fit today’s WW as, "Discovery consists of feeling what everybody has felt and doing what nobody else has done."— Jon Hanson FROM JACK: "There is nothing new under the sun." (Ecc 1:9)

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I tried to write a comment but it wouldn't work. But I will just reply that your WW today also trigger some thinking, particularly the example of Mandela working for reconciliation after being imprisoned. I wonder if the challenge for each of us is to be somehow unified in our minds and hearts in a direction intentionally moving towards God. The people who are able to demonstrate that through their actions become our leaders, the people who are torn in minds and hearts are like so many of us feel so much
of the time, well, as above, so many of us have our challenges and as for me that is a primary reason I am in so many Bible studies, prayer groups, worships wanting to move more intentionally in a direction closer to God and the good He would develop in me. If the solution is in having a unified mind and a unified heart, well that is hard (in my opinion) but not impossible with God and I'm thankful for examples like Mandela to look to
for encouragement. Thanks again for your WW. I always enjoy reflecting on them and even trying to live a bit
more by them. FROM JACK: The problem with some people is that they try to approach problems with the mind only. The problem with others is that they try only the heart approach. It's when mind and heart are in sync that the most effective work is done (in my opinion).

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Some people like Mandela are truly blessed with the gifts of the Holy Spirit more than others. Especially patience. I was talking with my littlest grandson Noah yesterday while we waiting to make sure his allergy shots wouldn't react after he first got them. We were talking about the gifts of the Holy Spirit we heard about in church Sunday. I started naming them and he added...."Justice". FROM JACK: Noah has caused me to think.....Just because the "fruit of the Spirit" is a list recorded in Galatians does not mean that the fruit of the Spirit is limited to that list. "Justice" could well be another fruit. The Spirit is without limit and the fruit is limitless, too. Thanks, Noah!

GUSTIE MS: My Grandson Kirk (a Rugby player) and I watched Invictus last weekend. Great movie. I want to see it again. I think Nelson Mandela truly deserved a Peace Prize. Now I think that prize is a JOKE! I will let you figure out why! FROM JACK: Just because Alfred Nobel was a Swede does not give you a vote on who gets the prize. I looked over the list of past awardees, and I'm sure that there are some (besides the one in your mind) who could be considered problematical. In fact, in 1911, someone by the name of Fried got the prize. At that time, my grandfather used that spelling for our family name. I wonder if the 1911 winner was a relative, or if you would have voted for him.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Nelson Mandela is certainly an epitome of Good head/good heart...I read recently that his granddaughter was killed in an auto accident. He doesn't go out in public much anymore, but traveled to her service. We can all try to emulate his excellent example. I remember marching in a Civil Rights
demonstration in Chicago, when we were serving 1st Baptist in Elgin, and having people spit at me, and calling me M_______F_______, Bitch, etc. It was hard to smile and march on, but those were our orders, and that is what we did. Bill and I weren't hit by anything, but some were, including containers of urine. I wonder what those people think now of their' actions?! FROM JACK: All those past experiences in your life have made you what you are today. The same with Mandela. Someone you know said, "Turn the other cheek."

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: have you seen the film, Invictus? the story of his life. i have not but some friends of ours said it was very good. rent it sometime. he is a prophet in our time... FROM JACK: In seminary I was impressed to read about the OT prophets and what they endured. We had a professor who acted as chaplain for local union members. His social views influenced many students. Our seminary was known as, "The School of the Prophets." We were proud of the title, even though we were sometimes reticent about living up to it.

No comments: