Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Winning Words 6/2/10
“We’ve been taught to use our ears to listen, but that’s just the beginning. Listening involves the entire self...mind, heart, hands.” (Nightengale-Conant) Listening is a real art. There are so many sounds and voices around us, clamoring for our attention. The art is learning what to tune in and what to tune out. I’ve learned a lot by listening to some pretty smart people, and acting on what I heard. ;-) Jack

FROM SL IN MICHIGAN: Such wise words! Such an art! Thank you for you wisdom, as always! FROM JACK: Reading between the lines helps, too.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Listening is to communication as harvesting is to baking. There is still a lot of process ahead before we get the message or enjoy the bread. FROM JACK: There's a Thanksgiving hymn that goes with your thought. (Come, ye thankful people, come) first the blade and then the ear, then the full corn shall appear; Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. MORE FROM JON: I like the hymn and I like Him.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: We have a community farm right beside our church. We grow fruits, vegetables and herbs for needy. Your listening WW made me remember this past weekend. One of the volunteer's mother died a week ago. Felt such sympathy for him, words seemed impotent. But spent time, my own hands digging around in the soil, praying that the very soil and flora and fauna out there and the happy promise of food soon growing to make poor people have a nutritious diet just like rich people, well, anyway God does speak in many different ways and I believe my friend was comforted by what He was saying. FROM JACK: What a sensitive and caring thing to do. Flowers and cards are nice, but your gift was a special one.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: And besides all of that, you can learn what is really going on in this world by listening to friends and family of all ages. FROM JACK: And sometimes you have to learn a new language.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: Amen Amen the art of listening is not always practiced in our culture. As a former peddler [salesperson] I learned this lesson early in my career. Too many of us while in conversation are quietly deciding what we are next going to say rather than listening to what is being said. Learning to listen is sometimes a hard lesson. A favorite saying of mine is that I rarely learn anything while I am talking. FROM JACK: Pastors are peddlers, too, although some don't want to admit it...or practice it.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: I used to listen to Mr. Nightengale often, years ago. FROM JACK: The reruns are still good.

FROM MOLINER CF: Don't tune out anything. You never know what gem is burried in the rubble. FROM JACK: Have you ever read, "Acres of Diamonds?" You can Google it.

FROM PRFM IN WISCONSIN: I know hearing is important, but my hearing is going - I try to listen even when I can't hear - using the rest of my self! Your words are helpful to me.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a community farm right beside our church. We grow fruits, vegetables and herbs for needy. Your listening WW made me remember this past weekend. One of the volunteer's mother died a week ago. Felt such sympathy for him, words seemed impotent. But spent time, my own hands digging around in the soil, praying that the very soil and flora and fauna out there and the happy promise of food soon growing to make poor people have a nutritious diet just like rich people, well, anyway God does speak in many different ways and I believe my friend was comforted by what He was saying.
S.H. in MI