Thursday, June 10, 2010

Winning Words 6/10/10
“Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.” (Elizabeth Bibesco) Elizabeth was the daughter of British Prime Minister, H H Asquith, and was well known for her writing ability and her quick wit. She was especially good at writing aphorisms, like the one above. Recently we sent a card of congratulations to a college graduate and, to our surprise, received a nice “thank you” note for the card. We will not forget that one who remembered. ;-) Jack

FROM PP IN MICHIGAN: I feel like you are God's direct line to me these days. I pray about something and then you email me a quote the next morning that directly relates to my prayer. Obviously, I realize it is not about me but I like to think God is whispering to me. :) I often forward your quotes to my sister, and every time she emails me back telling me she loves it when I do so. Have a great day and again, thank you for your time and efforts each morning on "Winning Words." FROM JACK: There's a hymn written in the 18th century by William Cowper...The first verse speaks to your comment about WWs. "God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform; He plants His footsteps in the sea And rides upon the storm." Life is indeed, a mystery. An old radio program that I listened to as a kid was titled, "I Love A Mystery."

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: That describes how my wife is, and how I want to be. FROM JACK: "Caring" is one of those traits that becomes easier each time you practice it. "You can (have it), if you think you can!" MORE FROM JON: "Two steps forward and one back is still progress." LBO

FROM MOLINER CF: Isn't this kind of contradictory to "It's better to give than to receive?" Or maybe there's no relationship. See how confused you get me? I'm going to stop reading you in the morning. Makes me confused all day. FROM JACK: You're really confused. Your comment has nothing to do with the quote, except that both are on the subject of giving.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: An attitude of gratitude is always memorable. Good quote, and interesting little bio. I hadn't heard of her FROM JACK: I hadn't heard of her, either, but I once did know someone whose last name was Asquith.

No comments: