Friday, March 26, 2010

Winning Words 3/26/10
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.” (Albert Einstein) I’m not always comfortable with the word, more. But in this case, I believe that those with the gift of being able to “think outside of the box” have an advantage in this world. In his early years Einstein was not considered to be a knowledgeable person, but he had the gift of being able to “see” what others could not. ;-) Jack

FROM DRPL IN MICHIGAN: I love this, Jack! This is the problem I have with Standards and Benchmarks in education. sometimes I I think we get to immersed in content and let "imagination" go lower and lower on that priority list of daily lessons in the classroom. I hope we don't pay a price for all this data driven obsession we are in right now. FROM JACK: Creativity and imagination go together. Educators are still learning.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: I love that one, Jack! I've always sooo admired Einstein. No one could argue his value as a scientist, yet he did not feel threatened by spirituality. I feel this quote reflects my point. Here's another one of my favorite quotes by Einstein (much longer) that further illustrates it: Our time is distinguished by wonderful achievements in the fields of scientific understanding and the technical application of those insights. Who would not be cheered by this? But let us not forget that knowledge and skills alone cannot lead humanity to a happy and dignified life. Humanity has every reason to place the proclaimers of high moral standards and values above the discoverers of objective truth. What humanity owes to
personalities like Buddha, Moses, and Jesus ranks for me higher than all the achievements of the inquiring and constructive mind (Albert Einstein, The Human Side) FROM JACK: I agree....Another good quote.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA (AN OUT-OF-THE BOX PERSON): ...and Thomas Edison was pronounced
"addled" by his teachers, but not my his mother. FROM JACK: Most mothers are like that.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: i'll think to that!

FROM MOLINER CF: CF proverb : Man who thinks out of the box is never boxed in.


No comments: