Monday, November 23, 2009

Winning Words 11/23/09
“Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others.” (Jonathan Winters) JW has been one of my favorite improvisational comedians. I Googled a few of his skits last week, and he still cracks me up. But he has a serious side, too, as shown by today’s quote and by his personal life. His wife of 60 years died this year after a long battle with cancer. “Nothing is impossible” is today’s thought! ;-) Jack

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Always a fave of mine too. And a lot of younger-generation comedians owe a great deal to JW (most especially, Robin Williams). FROM JACK: I laugh inside, just thinking of his antics and facial expressions. Improv shows creativity.

FROM EM IN MICHIGAN: Loved watching him and Robin Williams together on Mork and Mindy! FROM JACK: I miss creative comedy. MORE FROM EM: One of my favorite shows as a young child. I actually remember dressing up as Mork for Halloween - suspenders and all!

FROM PRFM IN WISCONSIN: I don't know who said it, but another similar word is . . . "Nothing is impossible. Some things just take a bit longer to accomplish." FROM JACK: I think that it was a motto of the Seabees. It may also have appeared in Alice in Wonderland.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: He spoke at the dedication of Wittenberg's "Festival of the Arts" a few years ago. Great speaker as well as comedian! FROM JACK: I wish I could have been there. I visited Hamma once, but never tourned the W campus. I did drive by the football field.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: He was one of my favorites too....especially his hilarious facial expressions. He struggled with some large problems in his life but was able to overcome them. I remember a serious conversation he had with an interviewer years and years ago and he revealed some tough issues. I don't remember them now, but I remembered thinking how he turned his tears into laughter...for himself and those who still remember him. FROM JACK: I guess I'm not the only one who likes JW.

FROM MOLINER CF: Jonathan was a Marine and one of our mottos ended with",,,the impossible takes a little longer." Once a Marine, always a Marine. FROM JACK: Semper Fi

No comments: