Friday, November 20, 2009

Winning Words 11/20/09
“Experience is a good teacher, but sometimes she sends in terrific bills.” (Minna Thomas Antrim) As the cowardly lion said in The Wizard of Oz, “Ain’t it the truth? Ain’t it the truth.” Just in! Minna was born (1859} in Philadelphia, a descendant of staunch Quakers. She was Episcopalian and the mother of 3 children. She liked music and outdoor sports. Thanks to Mike at the WB Library. ;-) Jack

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Reminds me of a couple of other quotes:
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it eventually kills all of its students." (Hector Berlioz)
"I know God will never give me anything I can't handle; I just wish He didn't trust me so much." (Mother Teresa)
FROM JACK: Ohhhh, the lessons we have learned. "We grow too soon old and too late smart."

FROM RI IN BOSTON: That reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw: "If you think Education is expensive, try Ignorance." There are so many ways to learn things. Parental experience can offer a lot in that regard but consider the number of children who make the same old mistakes. FROM JACK: Have you read any reviews of the movie, "Precious?" Some of the story seems to fit with your comments.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: As Will Rogers once said, "Good Judgment comes with experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgments!" Ain't it the truth? FROM JACK: One of my favorite stage shows was "The Will Rogers Follies." There is probably a CD of it. It's worth a look.

FROM INDY GENIE: My only hope is that after I've paid the bill, I've learned my teacher's lesson! FROM JACK: Sometimes we don't "Get it" (the lesson) until later in life.

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: Wow, that is so true! FROM JACK: Sometimes the truth hurts, but, in the end, it's better than fiction.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: You're sure to get them & compelled to pay. FROM JACK: The alternative ain't so hot.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: The bills are due but thankfully we are able to pay. Experience and prayer have helped tremendously.

No comments: