Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Winning Words 2/24/09
“In reading the lives of great men, I found that the first victory they won was over themselves…Self-Discipline.”
(Harry Truman) Mardi Gras is the day before Lent, the season of self-discipline. Some religious folk discipline themselves for 40-days during Lent to give up that which they think is bad for them. Truman says that people who are great can discipline themselves beyond that 40-day period. Is there something that you want to give up? Why not make tomorrow your starting point? Or today? ;-) Jack

FROM E.M. IN MI: I'm thinking I may give up the "boob tube" and take a t.v. fast - too muchnegativity and a big time drainer for me.

FROM J.C. IN HONG KONG: Hahaha, what a lame explanantion of Lent!! REPLY FROM JACK: Speaking of lame, 1Ki 18:21 And Eli'jah came near to all the people, and said, "How long will you go limping with two different opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Ba'al, then follow him." And the people did not answer him a word. It sounds as if you are limping along with a second opinion.

FROM B.G. IN MI: I am considering giving up Lent for Lent this year!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: A little trick might be to tell yourself you started yesterday. Then, you are already in your second day and the habit is on it's way.

FROM G.F. IN MI: I especially like this one and will add it to my leadership file!

FROM CJL IN OH: Why not ADD something to your life, such as Practice mercy instead of demanding justice, Tell the truth, Clean up after yourself, Be early, Tip big, Attend a church where everyone doesn't look like you. Suggestions by a Plain Dealer columnist Regina Brett JACK'S REPLY: In fact, I made that suggestion to someone today. Instead of just giving up TV, substitute reading a good book or listening to some great music. Don't just give up something negative; add something positive.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I’m not sure I have made 40 consecutive days yet. You mean there’s more? REPLY FROM JACK: You've heard of the postage stamp that's still good in spite of rate increases? It's called The Forever Stamp. How about Forever Lent?

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I find that Spirit Discipline works better than Self Discipline since my "self" loves too many things that in the long run I should not like. The Spirit comes into play directs me through the word to rise above "self" and try to seek a better form of discipline. Self, however, does win now and then! Not good. FROM JACK: The Spirit is willing, but the self is weak. "Simul justus et peccator."

FROM L.P. IN MI: Interesting. For many years I have given up chocolate or ice-cream as a means of sacrifice or fasting. However, I always end up eating twice the amount of substitution foods every time a craving comes up. So much for discipline! Perhaps instead of giving up something this year I'll set a self-discipline goal ... like having the dishes done before bed each night ... hmm that's a good one. FROM JACK: Here's a good question. Why are you doing this stuff? MORE FROM L.P.: The "giving-up" was as a reminder of the sacrifice made in Christ's death. However, I remember a sermon at the campus ministry at WMU in which Pastor Suzy suggested that giving up a bad habit only to revive it on Easter was not a good celebration of the resurrection. So some years I've tried to make good habits. Somehow I find it easier to keep resolutions during Lent than say for New Years. I feel more guilty breaking a promise I made to God than one I made to myself.

FROM J.E. IN MI: Yes. I want to give up eating before bedtime and negativity. This quote reminds me of the “change” quote about knowing the difference between the things we can change and the things we cannot change. We can only change ourselves and how we look at things. As hard as we try, we cannot change others. I want to give up trying to change others and just work on myself. Thanks for listening

FROM SNOWBIRD F.M.: Just returned from the Marti Gras parade in Gulf Shores - one thing I readly give up is all the fooling around on this day by the masses here in the Mobile area. They have had many many parades, five or six today in Mobile - with the emphasis on beads, pies, cups, etc.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: o.k. Jack, C hocolate, except on my birthday, or New Years Eve. Try me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How DO you find all of these quotes, Pastor Freed? I just think it's neat that you find all of these pertinent quotes from secular sources and then wind them in and around our Christian living. It must take a lot of discipline in searching for quotes you can use. I'm glad you have the discipline to do it--others of us might give up too easily. Thanks for keeping on stirring us up early in the mornings!!!!!!!!!
S.H. in MI