Friday, February 20, 2009

Winning Words 2/20/09
“Three passions have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.”
(Bertrand Russell) Just because I’ve quoted him twice this week, does not necessarily mean that I’m passionate about Bertrand. But his list of passions is a good and simple one. Is there something that you are passionate about? ;-) Jack


FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: If I remember correctly, I believe it was Camus who said, "A full life is to have planted a tree, written a book, and begotten a child." I'm passionate about all those three...still have one to accomplish.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: I am passionate about the well being of my offspring and her offspring. I want them to live in peace and harmony. (See. As promised, not a sungle typo)

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: My passions...to do God's will, the love of my family and friends, thankfulness!

FROM M.E. IN SO CALIF: Life.

FROM L.K. IN OH: What's your view of Bertrand's theology, not his philosophy? JACK'S REPLY: Our theology is probably based on our times. I think that he is unjustly criticized by people who don't put his thinking in the context of his times. His book, "Why I Am Not A Christian," has to be understood by looking at the Christians with whom he had contact. I might not be a Christian, except for those who influenced me along the way. I also think that theology and philosophy go together. I chose philosophy as a major, because I did not want the theology of a Christian institution (Augustana) to be the only influence on my religious thinking. I have not regretted that choice, but have continued to embrace it. The more I read of Russell's background, the more I have come to "understand" him, as if any of can be understood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm passionate about blended families: where family members are becoming more and more themselves; members have learned conflict resolution; and finally there is more and more a feeling of being united and bonded together in love. I'm passionate about Jerry's and my own blended family of Halls and Lengemanns and I'm passionate about the church blended family we belong to.
S.H. in MI