Monday, February 16, 2009

Winning Words 2/16/09
“The most valuable things in life are not measured in monetary terms. The really important things are not houses and lands, stocks and bonds, automobiles and real estate, but friendships, trust, confidence, empathy, mercy, love and faith.”
(Bertrand Russell) In these days, when basic values are being questioned, do you have an opinion on the subject? Last week I heard a quote by Edwin Friedman that “Empathy is overrated.” Maybe so, but it’s on Russell’s list of values and on mine, too. ;-) Jack

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I love the way that Hauck of Stephen Ministry defines EMPATHY....as not only trying to understand womeone else's plight but also giving an effort to try to help them.....it goes way beyond sympathy

FROM MOLINER G.S.: good WW.keep them comin'

FROM H.R. IN MI: Bertrand Russell is right on all these items. Empathy is only overrated by those who have no feelings for others. Bertrand Russell, if I remember right, did not have faith in religion, he had logic and a strong moral guide and he made very strong arguments in favor of the possibility of the world without God. I think he may be at the heart of most Secular Humanist positions. What do you think? REPLY FROM JACK: I think that we somehow have to "empathize" with Russell in the context of his life and times. We are shaped by the circumstance of the things we go through and the people who impact our lives. Many "reglious" people are humanists, in that they care about others. I'm sure that's part of what got you into chiropractic work. The secular part comes into play when one is not satisfied with the direction of the religious community.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: These Winning Words are right on. Morals and values are quickly being put by the wayside. The old saying, "I'm okay...you're okay" is not working. One must be responsible for their actions and lately, that's not happening. There is hope though. People will start to remember the really important things...listed in the WW's...back to basics...back to God.

FROM CJL IN OH: Actually, all seven mentioned by Russell should be on our list.... JACK'S REPLY: You've made a good point. Sometimes B.R. gets a bad rap, because we fail to empathize with the circumstances of his life and times.

FROM MOLINER LIZ: Guess I'm rich!

FROM EMT SINGS IN MI: I agree with Russell!

FROM L.P. IN MI: May we never have too much empathy. When my empathy wanes I find that I am a self-centered, whiny, curmudgeon. And, who wants to be around that?!?A friend recently started a faculty position at the university and had to attend a workshop on teaching. There they explained that "every student is unique and should be treated as such. They each come with their own back story and challenges, much of which you may never know" It was an interesting teaching philosophy and one of more empathy than I would have expected for a large university.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: I just read the responses to today's WW, and the reply from L.P. in MI about "every student is unique and should be treated as such..." is really a perceptive thought. During my years teaching at UofM it was evident time and again how different persons require different approaches for learning. I often wondered if I was doing well enough at it.

FROM FROM SNOWBIRD F.M.: Check out today, on president's day, the list of 'the best ' presidents and from the 'best' how they displayed in the leadership what is really important. JACK'S REPLY: I suppose that empathy is one of the "best" qualities of leadership.

FROM GUSTIE M.S.: Since my husband’s death, I truly know the value of friendship. It would be impossible to cope without Faith, Family, and Friends!

FROM M.E. IN SO. CALIF: Most passions are not driven by monetary influence, but all people are driven by passion and almost all success stories are driven by passion. Would be interested in your take some time on the influence of passion and on the previous quote that just came out from your reference to BR.

FROM A.M. IN MI: I would put faith first-before anything or anyone because it is faith that gives us hope and strenghth in our marriages, family, friendships, work and life. Faith was always an important guide in my life but it is more so now. You know the saying "too soon old, too late smart" or I would say smarter.
Thank you for the winning words.

FROM MKH IN MI: I learned this one a long time ago although sometimes I find myself caught up in the monetary thing, I try very hard to avoid it. FROM JACK: When money concerns seem to crowd other things out, I think of the song, "Count your blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you, what the Lord has done. MORE FROM MKH: I have five of those that come to mind in an instant some would call them siblings I do know blessing when I see them and Dean and I have been showered with them sometimes you just want a corvette!

FROM L.P. IN MI: In an odd coincidence, last night Chris and I were discussing the idea of "nature v nurture" in relation to personality traits. We figure its a mix but he postulated that we are born with a propensity for certain traits. Empathy came up in the discussion. I wonder if it's like conceptualizing math.. it's just harder for some and we each "get it" to a certain depth. REPLY FROM JACK: I lean toward nurture, but I'm open-minded on the subject. A lot of "get it" people don't seem to "get it" when it comes to empathy

FROM PR A.W. IN IL: when family asks me what I want...I reply two things that only God can give.....time and health. I should add love.

FROM JACK: Erin from AZ send me a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay, RENESCENCE, which seems to relate to today's quote. It's rather lengthy, but good reading. I'll send it to you, if you want.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: it may be difficult for a student ( or anyone ) who is hungry to believe this, but papa hit the nail on the head. and I sincerely hope my grandchildren are writting this down so they remember. Please remember. I know, when oatmeal was 40 cent at the cafeteria, that ten dollar check went a long way, but this statement was true then and it is true today, and it will be true when you read it to your children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My opinion is I agree with Russell. Also agree with Lincoln quoted a few days ago. When I do bad, I feel bad. When friendship, trust, confidence, empathy, mercy, love and faith aren't in a relationship, I feel bad. I feel sorry if a house, land, stocks, bonds, automobile and real estate are not present but I don't feel morally bad. There is something inside that wants to feel a bond with the neighbor. I believe Russell once wrote a book "Why I am Not a Christian". How interesting he has this quote that strikes a chord of connection.
S.H. in MI