Friday, August 08, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 8/8/08
“Only the mediocre are always at their best.”
(Jean Giraudoux) I like the sound of the word, mediocre, but I don’t necessarily like what it describes…like the bullpen of the Tigers. In the Urban Dictionary, avocado can be used to replace, mediocre. I’ll be you didn’t know that piece of information. ;-) Jack


FROM CWR IN B'MORE: .....actually, I like that quote. As, the receipient of alot of health-care and a veteran of many years working in the system, I've discovered to sort out the excellent from the mediocre providers and it's true that the mediocre are always at THEIR best. Yet, it's the excellent ones who more often err , but generally catch their own errors admit them and correct them. The mediocre, take few risks and often get mediocre to poor outcomes. ps. I did not know that "avocado" can be used to replace "mediocre" , unless an avocado is a mediocre pear.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: Now I know what you like about the ELCA.....they are always at their best in your point of view!!!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: From Latin: Mediocris originally meaning halfway up the mountain. “I’d say mediocre describes the best of the worst, the worst of the best. The cream of the crap.”

FROM J.L. IN MI: I would say our government was full of avocados right now....and the same with the Tigers. But, there's always hope!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Avocados are deffinitely mediocre.

FROM L.K. IN OH: Where is the element of motivation in this?

FROM P.O. IN MI: Say what???!

FROM F.M. IN WI: You have made my day - with some new information that I didn't know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually this quote is off-putting to me. Don't think I've ever met a mediocre person, people not living up to their possibilities maybe but not mediocre because of that. The drama of everyone's life in the cross just precludes categorization like that, for me anyway. People who are avocado people sounds more promising as avocados have a living, changing reality from seed to ripe fruit to being consumed, to death and decay. Maybe later in the day, the Winning Words will strike me differently.
Peace,
Sharon