Thursday, August 28, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 8/28/08
“Even on the most exalted throne in the world, we are only sitting on our own bottom.”
(de Montaigne) It’s wise for us not to get too carried away by the rhetoric of any of the politicians. We all are “human” beings. This quote is an example of how Montaigne would introduce humor into his writing on serious subjects. He is said to have influenced Emerson, Descartes, Rousseau, Nietzsche, and perhaps Shakespeare. Some of you may already have known that. Congratulations! ;-) Jack


FROM L.K. IN OH: I wish the politicians would take this to heart.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: Did you watch the coronation last night - or is it tonight?

FROM MOLINER C.F.: How come you call me Mr. Negative for expressing those same sentiments about politicians? Getting disenchanted?

FROM F.M. IN WI: I didn't! But now I do know this bit of information. Thanks.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: If it's Shawn Johnson, she is probably standing on her hands!!!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Maybe you are a day early with this.

FROM J.L. IN MI: This was my laugh of the day... How wise and very correct he is! When it comes down to it, we are all humans!

FROM BBC IN IL: You know me well enough that I can say, (with all due respect) that Obama certainly carries the MLK torch and…makes me wonder what it was like to be at the feet of our Lord. If Obama can inspire the masses imagine what it was like to hear the Rabbi Jesus! More than the rhetoric last night, I felt the authenticity of Obama's desire to scrub away the rust/tarnish and regain our bearings as a people. The children were bouncing on the couch with excitement. I recall the Proverbs 29 "without a vision the people perish". Christ elucidated the vision of the Kingdom of God which we live in and yet anticipate and I wish this could be translated well into the political milieu. We live in times of great peril and great opportunity and, even if McCain is elected, I think the "people" have got the idea that they need to join together to make the world a better place instead of waiting for someone above to get it done for them….rambling now, but my 85 y/o mom talks a lot about how people during WWII were all behind the war effort in giving of themselves, rationing of their food and luxuries and did so (according to her) with a spirit of support for the greater good. Ahh the past. And the future!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful each human being only has one bottom, leaving room for all the other politicians and rest of human beings to sit on their bottoms too.
Peace,
Sharon