Monday, August 25, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 8/28/08 a
Anyone can be an idealist. Anyone can be a cynic. The hard part lies somewhere in the middle, i.e. being human.”
(Hugh MacLeod) What is it to be human? I prefer the idealistic answer: Love your neighbor as you love yourself! I was going to send a political quote today, but I like this one better. I may blog the other. ;-) Jack


FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: I constantly travel between idealism and cynicism, and it seems the hope that comes from idealism is the only thing that carries me beyond cynicism.

FROM J.L. IN MI: I definitely lean toward the idealist. It's the only way to fly. Life is hard and then you die, but it's what you do and who you do it too in the middle with what you have that makes you who you are.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Some of the people can be synics some of the time and all of the people can be idsealists some of the time, but only people can be human all of the time.
Abe Goldsein

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: To define humanity I like Psalm 8...."Yet, thou hast made them a little less than the elohim..." We are wonderful creatures with a purpose in life to be Caregivers in God's world....but we are not "elohim"!!!

FROM L.K. IN OH: What is one to be idealistic about?; what is one to be cynical about?
The world would be better off were there a higher proportion of idealists like you, Jack!



Jack’s Winning Words 8/25/08 b
“I’m not a member of an organized political party. I’m a Democrat.”
(Will Rogers) This familiar quote seems appropriate for what will happen this week. Even though I always manage to vote, I’ve never officially registered as a member of a political party. I may watch some of the convention on TV, but keep the OFF button handy. ;-) Jack

FROM J.L. IN MI: As to your political quote...I heard one reporter on Fox News say: "There will be a lot of people watching at the convention and 3 or 4 watching on the tv." That's the way I feel. I won't be watching, that's a guarantee!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Remember, DEMOCRAT spelled backwards is TARCOMED, which in ancient Sanskrit means "synic." It's important to keep this in mind as you watch all of the promises being made. And being the optimist that I am, I know will all be kept. I'm gonna watch Andy Griffith.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The New York Times Magazine yesterday had an interesting article about Obama's take on economics. It said he has been very much influenced by his grandmother: high school graduate who went on to become a bank vice president and was breadwinner for the family. "She had to think very practically about, How do you make money. How does the system work?" Maybe McCain cares about the underdog too, but I got the definite impression Obama cares about people like his grandmother. Is she a practical idealist?
Sharon