Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 8/13/08
“Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.”
(Voltaire) Are there any questions that have been bugging you? Though often thought of as an atheist, Voltaire really had questions about God. ;-) Jack

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Over the years I frequently heard, "you can tell a lot about a man by how well his shoes are shined."

FROM J.L. IN MI: Perhaps it's not right, but many times I wonder at God's decisions. Nothing has happened in my life though which hasn't happened for the better...even though i wonder why they have happened in the first place. I have a lot of questions for Him when I get up there!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: I have often wondered..... MORE: Sometimes I woonder why.....

FROM PR J.T. IN WI: Dr. G. Timothy Johnson, Physician Journalist, Good Morning America/ABC News, Augie, Class of 1958 is coming to St. Matthew's Lutheran Church here this year for a "Day of Grace" lecture (date to be determined). His book is entitled "Finding God in the Questions - A Personal Journey".

FROM F,M. IN WI: It is frequently much more pleasant to spend time with a person who asks questions then a person who seems to have all the answers - true if the subject is religion, politics, sports, the weather, or life itself.

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: I appreciate the Voltaire quotation. Some of the most stimulating questions I've been asked have been from an Israeli Jewish friend... Once he asked me, "Don't you think it's dangerous to elevate a human being to God?" Years later, "Do you desire that everyone in the world become a Christian and would the world be bettter?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would really like to know what God thinks about homosexual relationships. It's not sufficient you have your opinion and I have my opinion. What really has authority is what kind of relationships delight and please God. Not to leave anyone out, I wonder how many of our hetereosexual relationships delight and please God? Suppose only someone aware of all the false idols that can draw us away from intimacy and yet, also hanging on to God's promises, believes there is an answer to these questions so that people can reason and see and discern together.
Peace,
Sharon