Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 8/12/08
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.”
(Bob Dylan) I hope that today is one of those days when you are doing what you want to do. A better question might be: What is it that makes you satisfied or feel successful? Incidentally, Time Magazine named Dylan one of the 100 most important people in the last century. He was born in 1941 in Duluth, Minn. I like his music.. ;-) Jack


FROM CWR IN B'MORE: .....that sounds good to me.....though, I've not had very many entire days like that recently.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I remember hearing a story song by Dylan on a bootleg tape (in 1977) that always stuck with me, about intolerance and racism....It could be a metaphor of how politics, religion, and race are shaped still today. I thought Dylan wrote the song but apparently he did not. The song was Hezekiah Jones also known as Black Cross: I was surprised to find it so easily on the internet:

FROM H.R. IN MI: I like Dylan also. However, many times you have to do what your suppose to do and your always suppose to do the right thing, which is not always what you want to do. (Success is many things, not least of those is loving what you do.)



FROM PR J.S. IN MI: That's way too subjective. Sometimes we need to do what is asked of us by our God, our ethics and our sense of justice and compassion. We may not always want to do those things but the human was created with a purpose other than to be turned in on himself.

FROM L.K. IN OH: I really like this one........also, have you read C.S. Lewis, "A Grief Observed"? I just finished it for the third time.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: I'll be successful if my kids think so.......Got my 10 laps in, watered the plants - now I'm almost ready for today! Devotions next - then I'll be ready.

FROM J.L. IN MI: Hum....satisfaction to me is doing the right thing even when I don't want to and trying to be the best person I can be. If I have done something for someone else is when I feel most successful. I'm not so sure about his quote though. If I only did what I wanted to do, a lot of things wouldn't get done that needed to get done. Interesting thought!

FROM P.H. IN MN: apparently you like lots of nasel sounds... i do like his lyrics a lot but have never warmed up to his voice...

FROM MOLINER C.F.: I think success includes doing the things you don't want to do. Dylan sounds selfish.

FROM M.L. IN IL: more successful if what is done during waking hours is carried out with positive intention. now go forward and do good!

FROM D.W. IN MI: Dylan is the voice of an entire generation. Feel that for one second and you are overwhelmed.One man. One voice. Remind you of anyone??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was the answer to yesterday's question "do no harm"? I'd like to know. Thanks.
Sharon