Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 6/3/08
“Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig.”
(Solzhenitsyn) There are many moralisms that refer to pride, but this is one I’ve not read before. Do you have any that are favorites of yours, or are you too proud to share them? ;-) Jack


FROM L.H. IN MARCO: Russians are generally a pessimistic lot. I believe God wants us to feel good about ourself and that takes a certain amount of pride. You need pride to be mentally healthy and you are no good to anyone if you don't feel good about yourself (my thoughts). My grandfather often said that you can tell a lot about a person by how his shoes are shined; I have found that a person with scuffy shoes makes a bad first impression and is lacking something.

FROM P.O. IN MI: This one sure does paint a vivid picture, doesn't it?

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: Life is reciprosity.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Had a pride framed, calligraphy sign hanging in my art department, "Would you put it in your sample case?"

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: Interesting.....and very "telling"....even the "good" feelings can have a counter-productive side....as in "pride goeth before the fall"......

FROM J.T. IN MI: I think this is one of the most apt descriptions of Pride I've read! It certainly gives me a mental picture. I hope it keeps me aware.

FROM J.L. IN MI: This congered up a terrible image but then, so is pride. My mom always quoted..."Pride goeth before a fall." Not my favorite...but it came to mind when I read your Winning Words.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: A person needs to have a certain amount of pride. Children couldn't mature without pride. An artesan needs to have pride in his/;her workmanship to set him/her apart from other shoemakers. Sachmo had to have a great deal of pride. It was part of his drive for success in a world that denied him equal rights. Incidently I heard that John Mc wouldn't sign the equal rights amendment. crappy guy, McCain.I hope his wife hands him a corn cob.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pride goeth before the fall and I'm not too proud to say that I've personally experienced this and know that it is true. The teaching keeps me more and more aware of the better path which is to walk humbly with God. The tricky part seems to be that pride sneaks up on a person and encloses the heart and begins to divide communities before one even begins to realize that it is happening--except for the consequences.
Sharon