Monday, June 23, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 6/23/08
“Indeed he knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know.”
(Sir Richard Francis Bacon) It sounds somewhat like “She sells sea shells by the seashore,” doesn’t it? But I chose this quote, because it has to do with changing one’s mind. The politicians on both sides are talking about CHANGE. Are there significant things that you’ve learned to un-know? There have been for me. ;-) Jack

FROM A.M. IN MI: AA has a saying - "It's not what you don't know that will kill you. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" It also kind of goes with the notion of spirituality by subtraction, that is -
God made us just as he meant to make us. There is nothing we can add to our ingredients that will make us moreso. On the contrary, there are many things we can take away that will bring us closer to our intended state of being. I love waking up to your "Winning Words." They've been a blessing.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: Are we equating "to know" with "to think something is true?"

FROM J.L. IN MI: Nothing really significant but small things which at one time I thought were absolutely necessary for me to know or act on or change. As I age gracefully, I realize basic knowledge such as we learned in Sunday school or from our parents is the most important knowledge. Basic human kindness is the essence...all other learning is topping on the cake so to speak. JACK'S RESPONSE: In Kindergarten our SS teacher challenged us to memorize the 23rd Psalm. I'll always be grateful for that. In SS I learned Bible stories In adult studies I learned what they meant. Sometimes I had to un-know things.

FROM G.G. IN INDY: "Knowing" might be a little like "being right"....not all that it's cracked up to be. One thing we can know and be right about is that the times they are a changin'!

FROM LBP IN MI: Ack! It took me 20 reads just to KNOW what he's talking about. As for un-knowing, I was talking with another mom the other day about all the things we thought we "knew" before having kids. Oh how many times I had said to myself (hopefully rarely out loud) "MY child will never..." or "When I have kids...". Ha! I'm working on un-knowing those ideas as my daughter helps me know how it really goes.

FROM EMTSINGS IN MI: It almost sounded like you reading it and I got all excited thinking you had a second career!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Some of the people can un-know some of the time al all the people can know some of the time but all of the people can't know and un-know all of trhe time. Author Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For many, many years I've been in the process of un-knowing fear and the feeling that one needs to control and force relationships, to God, to others. In the place of that stance, becoming more and more aware of, knowing the place of love and invitation. I wonder about these dualing theologies in the midst of our peoples, of the world, of other faiths. I wonder about the Muslim extremists. I wonder about the political implications of how we all go about trusting God and unknowing ways that are wrong. I wonder.
Peace,
Sharon