Monday, April 28, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 4/28/08
“If dogs have a heaven, there’s one thing I know…Old Shep has a wonderful home.”
(Red Foley) A confirmation student came to class on the day that her dog died. She asked if her pet would be in heaven. I made the mistake of giving her a theological answer. Maybe I should have used Red Foley’s words. What do you think? I have a book in my library: Will My Dog Go To Heaven? (How to answer your child’s religious questions) Chapter 32: “What is the Goal of Christian Training?” ;-) Jack


FROM A.M. IN MICHIGAN: It's not a question of "will there be?". It's more like "will we be able to contain the magnificent essence of what they are?". The day I buried my mom, I went for a walk and came across a guy playing with a puppy on his front lawn. In spite of my sadness, I stopped and laughed at the delightful scene. The puppy was being exactly what God made it to be.

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: My reply would have been something like, "absolutely, one God, one universe, one heaven, for all God's creation." Then I would have reviewed my notes from a great college course I took in World Religions.

FROM JACK: In cas you're interested, here's the link to Old Shep, sung by the composer, Red Foley.
http://www.clydefoleycummins.com/Audio/OldShep.htm

FRPM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: Just a couple of minutes before I read your Winning Words, I was reading Miriam Woolbert's e-mail of scripture here and just basking in the thought that God's covenant was between Himself and all creatures. Last night Calvin, our dog, had some kind of a problem--we were wondering if he had had a slight stroke or if he had eaten something outside--even if he had eaten something poisoneous. He seemed like he was drunk, had trouble standing, finally got over to the couch where he could lie down like he usually does and then, after a bit, seems to be all right again. I'm not leaving the house today so as to be able to keep an eye on him until we are more sure he is OK. But whatever the problem was I prayed cryingly for God to be his Shepherd, to be with him even though he might be walking through the valley of the shadow of death, to prepare a banquet for him in front of his enemies, to annoint his head with oil, to make his cup runneth over, that surely goodness and mercy should follow him all the days of his life and he shall dwell in the House of the Lord forever. Jerry and I grew up on farms and our dogs and cats were always outside. You know when people keep their pets inside, it seems like a different relationship develops. God knows something about us wherever we go and whatever we do and the longer I live and experience life and the longer I read the Bible I keep finding out that there is something in There to cover every emergency and situation and just wonderfully thankful that God told Noah and his family to bring all those animals into his ark-house like Jerry and I are doing with Calvin and Luna and wonderfully reassured that God's covenant is with them too. So thankful today. Nice to read your Winning Words today and I will be very interested in all the responses

FROM J.N. IN MICHIGAN: I heard a line years ago that goes with today's Winning Words, "If dogs can't go to Heaven, I don't want to go there."Theologically, we're in trouble with that, but to any heart-sick dog lover in mourning, I understand. Once heard someone say that only loving dogs are close to God's love.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Do dogs have a soul? Therein lies the answer. JACK'S RESPONSE: Who's to say?

FROM M.T. IN PENNA: You gave a good example of something I would sum up this way: A really good answer responds to needs; not just to the words in the question. Thank you for Winning Words! I enjoy this little treat each day. Here's something that I remembered just this morning. I heard it when I was in the throes of late teenage angst about a girl. In trying to get her interested in me, I was trying way too hard. I don't who originally said this, but it eased my mind: "A flower can die from too much water, as easily as from not enough." P.S. She never became my 'girlfriend', but we did become friends.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: all dogs go to heaven. there is a sweet film to prove it! THE FILM: it is called,"all dogs go to heaven". it was out in the late 1980's or early 1990's, an animated tale of the afterlife of dogs.
heaven can't be proven and while we're at it... if a tree falls in the forest and noone is there to hear it...does it make a noise?

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: When my friend's dog died unexpectedly, they asked her if Rags went to Heaven. She told them, being a good Christian, of course not....they (dogs) don't have souls. Her girls were heartbroken. I wished she would have told them about the sparrow or this quote. God loves all He has made and I can't believe His doesn't remember each and every little creature in His vast universe. Whether they go to Heaven or not is not the question, but He surely loves them all....and His love would encompass the wonderfully loving furry animals named "dog."

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: My answer to that question has always been "I hope so. But you know that is up to God. What I know of God is that he is willing to save human beings who are willful and have wrecked a good part of God's world. I would guess that gives dogs, etc. a pretty good shot at it."

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: .......GREAT ONE......someone asked me a few years ago "why did you marry again after all of these years?" ...and my response was, "because my dog died." His name was Shep and for over a decade, Shep and I were inseparable. I inherited him when he was four. He was a tri-color Collie, pet therapy, show dog and a constant companion at home and on long walks. He even had a bed in my room. He weighed 107 lbs, and hardly fit in my car, so was not a good traveller. But when at home, I was certainly not living alone. Thanks for that Winning Word. As for "heaven", I'm not so sure, but wherever I wind up , I expect Shep to be there. That's how faithful he was.

FROM J.B.: As a dog lover, I'd like to think there will be dogs in heaven to continue to bring joy to people as they have for so many years. God has given us so many wonderful things to enjoy in this world, but in heaven we probably will not be quite the same as we are here. I'm sure God in His infinite wisdom has, as always, a perfect plan.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: To glorify Christ and serve Him by the choices we make.

FROM PR P.H. IN MINNESOTA: Al Rogness once noted that if your eternal happiness is somehow contingent on having your favorite pet in heaven, it will there. I liked his comment.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: I think Red's answer is sufficient. It is reassuring and non-committal. Sounds much like a politician's answer to questions they get...

FROM ANON: Interesting how dog salvation gets twice the traffic as questions of human salvation. When I saw the question this morning I figured it would create a lot of conversation.
I think Matthew 7 or wherever the verse is about the wide path and narrow gate is a bigger problem. It would be ashamed for us to be elsewhere while Fido was in heaven. Of course my little Dachshund, Harriett, is so cute God is going to want her back, regardless of his canine policy.

FROM J.B. IN MI: A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the s cenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them. After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?' 'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered. 'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.' The man gestured, and the gate began to open.'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveler asked. I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?' 'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.' 'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.'There should be a bowl by the pump.' They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree. What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.'This is Heaven,' he answered. 'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.''Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.''Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?''No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that the "goal" of Christian training is to teach the way of Christ and live it accordingly. It seems that is often lost for religious training and the need to be "right" and certain. Dogs in heaven? Why not? I can hope so while telling another that I'm not sure. I don't know everything!